Current poll

Spark6 23:44 14 Feb 2007

After registering my vote in the current poll re Vista I wanted to comment on Vog's thread. The usual response box was unavailable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Woolwell 23:44 14 Feb 2007

It's been closed by FE

Totally-braindead 23:49 14 Feb 2007

Woolwell is correct.

Managing ed 10:40 15 Feb 2007

As these always seem to cause a certain amount of controversy, there are a couple of points it's worth making.

Polls are intended as a snapshot of the opinions of our forum users. They are a really valuable tool for the editorial team, giving us an insight into what PCA forum users broadly feel about a subject. This can steer us in some very interesting directions.

Website polls are not, of course, particularly scientific, and it's impossible to include enough answers to match what everyone feels. (We've found that they don't work at all well if we post more than four or five possible responses.)

It's absolutely never our intention to 'skew results', although it's not always easy to ask a question in a neutral way.

Perhaps we should always include a 'don't know' option? What do people think?

Also, perhaps we should start a 'current poll' thread every time we change the poll?

All suggestions gratefully received. After all, the entire purpose of the exercise is to garner your opinions.

Thanks,

Matt
Managing Editor
PC Advisor

Spark6 11:02 15 Feb 2007

I now understand why I was unable to comment on Vog's thread, many thanks for your responses.

Regarding Matt's suggestion re a 'don't know' option it's possible that a 'don't know/care' option would cover more views.

Kate B 11:10 15 Feb 2007

I think that if you don't know or don't have an opinion you shouldn't be answering a poll. It's to seek opinions, not non-opinions.

€dstowe 11:11 15 Feb 2007

I nearly always complete the polls on here. If there is one where I "don't care" I just don't bother to take part. No need for a special category for that.

If I really didn't care, I wouldn't bother even clicking to do the poll.

knockin on 11:19 15 Feb 2007

I understand where you are coming from, but wonder if there can sometimes be value in knowing just how many people (as a percentage of those inclined to respond to polls) don't car about a particular topic? Being disinterested is, after all, an opinion.

Kate B 11:21 15 Feb 2007

I do what €dstowe does. If I don't have a view or don't care, I don't take part. A low response rate should tell you that there's a high proportion of people who don't care.

anskyber 11:27 15 Feb 2007

It's like any Poll, if you do not care then do not reply. If you look at the previous polls there is quite a range in terms of the number of responses signifying perhaps the relative interest in the topic.

There is no reason to assume that every poll should be of immediate interest or concern to everyone.

anskyber 11:31 15 Feb 2007

As a PS looking at the polls listed the range of responses in terms of numbers goes from 773 to 2443 for those I looked at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone