Curiosty not a help topic- Those strange codes

SparkyJack 14:27 17 Mar 2011

That various sites - even PCA on occasion-
of various numeral/letter combination in a jumbled formation, that were are asked to unscramble and enter into a field before we can proceed with -what ever.
I appreciate there is some 'security' aspect to it but What How Why?

Clapton is God 14:33 17 Mar 2011

To ensure that whatever is being purchased or applied for online is being done by a real live human rather than a 'robot'.

The theory being that a human will be able to read and type what is shown on screen.

A robot won't be able read or type what's on screen.

wiz-king 15:29 17 Mar 2011

CAPTCHA is the name of the letters or numbers.

The term CAPTCHA stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing-test to tell Computers and Humans Apart".
A CAPTCHA is a program that protects websites against bots by generating and grading tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot.
The CAPTCHA security code works by asking the website visitor to type in the code they see correctly.A human can do this, but an automated computer program cannot.

Bingalau 17:36 17 Mar 2011

I took three attempts at doing this earlier today. I was filling in a form for my friend to register for Nectar Points.. As well as the jumble of letters and numbers there was a moving haze/mist which made it very difficult to make out some letters. There's not a lot of difference between a capital "B" and an "R" when obscured and moving.

BT 17:53 17 Mar 2011

When its difficult to separate some letters/numbers there is often an option to bring up a different set until you find one that is clearer.

uk-wizard 17:55 17 Mar 2011

Good job you didnt try the voice option then, some of them sound like BT's Indian call centre.

Chegs ®™ 04:50 18 Mar 2011

I found one of these "security codes" on Facebook,every time I wanted to add someone to my friends list I had to try & decipher the jumble of letters/numbers.Clicking on the refresh tab often didn't produce anything easier to read so I gave up & did without the new contact(then gave up using Facebook & closed my accounts)I can appreciate their need to protect the site from automated registrations but surely it cannot be beyond their ability to have the security code on the first new contact addition & once entered,you're then clear to add further contacts without having to input another new code for each contact until you've closed the Facebook page completely and the code is needed for the next time your logged into the site & wanting to add more friends.

SparkyJack 11:05 18 Mar 2011

now we all know
J
Which brings to mid another curiosity
Shall I ask on this no perhaps not so look out for new one
My user name come up as already in use when trying to restore a web site-

interzone55 11:21 18 Mar 2011

Some of these are very annoying - last week I was signing up for an email account at Talk Talk and hit a stop at the Captcha section, I couldn't read it at all, and there was no option to be presented with a new image, many sites have a refresh option, so I clicked the voice over button and was presented with a noise that just went on & on and locked up the page.

So shut down chrome and started afresh in IE.

This time the first word in the Captcha image had a Ü, which threw me a bit as I couldn't remember the Alt+ code for this character. Opened Charmap and copied it out and the result was rejected. Despite the umlaut on the U in the image the answer was sans umlaut...

finerty 17:35 18 Mar 2011

now look here click here is this the same query you have made her on this post?

finerty 17:39 18 Mar 2011

if it is you made a so called duplicate post where th forums say you shouldn't

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017