Cups to help cut boozing.

gengiscant 14:15 26 Jan 2011

Just picked up the local evening paper up in in Edinburgh to be greeted with the headline 'cash strapped government splashes out £300K on plastic cups for home boozers.'
You couldn't make this stuff up.click here

mr simon 16:05 26 Jan 2011

"Alcohol misuse costs Scotland £3.56 billion a year in extra services and lost productivity and it is vital that we do all we can to tackle this."

What is absolutely clear is that something needs to be done about this figure, but plastic cups are certainly not the way forward.

peter99co 17:09 26 Jan 2011

A bottle of wine holds 6 measures and if shared is fine for two people I think.

As long as a second bottle is not started a measuring cup is probably not needed.

Maybe a chalkboard and a stick of chalk would be better, to keep a score of the number of bottles opened would be cheaper.

;0)

Grey Goo 17:21 26 Jan 2011

Could start a whole new betting craze,how many units drunk before passing out. Got a nice graduated dispenser now to avoid cheating.

Forum Editor 17:31 26 Jan 2011

but it pales into insignificance when compared to the cost to the Health Service of treating the effects of alcohol abuse.

If a measuring cup helps a few thousand people to understand that their consumption is excessive, and if they take steps to curb their intake the cost will be recovered quite easily.

gengiscant 17:39 26 Jan 2011

"If a measuring cup helps a few thousand people to understand that their consumption is excessive, and if they take steps to curb their intake the cost will be recovered quite easily."

Yep a calibrated cup should do the trick.

morddwyd 18:17 26 Jan 2011

I don't want to rubbish any serious attempt to tackle this scourge, but I really don't rate this very much.

The sort of people who are likely to abuse alcohol are unlikely to bother to use a graduated measure (which I imaging quite a lot of people already have at home anyway).

JoeC 11:18 27 Jan 2011

something that is old news. These cups (and lots of leaflets about alcohol abuse) were out over a month ago.When I took my daughter to hospital then, there were lots of folk in the hospital (at reception) who were enciuraging people to take the cups / leaflets. They are quite handy for potting seedlings : )

As an aside, this paper is getting a reputation for exclusives and such-like which are, in fact, old news and already well known. It is starting to highlight lots of Freedom of Information requests as well.

Quickbeam 11:52 27 Jan 2011

Wouldn't drinking from a tea strainer be more successful in reducing how much you drink?

peter99co 13:20 27 Jan 2011

The chalk board I would design would only record the maximum allowed.

My own consumption is a nice 12% bottle per week with a nice Roast. (shared of course) A second would be a special occasion on a different day.

Having drink without food is half the problem in my opinion.

gengiscant 13:37 27 Jan 2011

One of the side effects I have come across after extensive chemo/radiation therapy is my capacity to drink far more than I used to be able to.

I can quietly sit in front of the PC online gaming with a bottle of vodka and a large bottle of coke,diet of course one needs to keep an eye on ones weight,for 10-12 hours grab a very few hours sleep and be as bright as a button with little or no hangover.

Seemingly this effect is not uncommon according to research I have done on the Macmillan website.

Perhaps I need one of these cups.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?