Cricket Fixing the Ashes?

Bingalau 19:55 18 Dec 2010

I've got a hunch as the cowboys used to say... that the matches in Oz. may be fixed. They can't afford to let England win two games and so keep the ashes. Attendances at the rest of the series would be abysmal and they would not take the amount of money from a gullible public that they think they are entitled to... Does anybody else ever get these thoughts?

As others say on here "I'll get me coat".

Kevscar1 20:51 18 Dec 2010

Oh god now you are going to have people saying that the english football team weren't really crap at the World CUp they had just taken a few bungs.

Bingalau 20:58 18 Dec 2010

I do know that football matches are just as easily fixed as is cricket if that's any help. For example go back to the days when Portsmouth FC was a leading light in the top division of English football. They had a goalkeeper by the name of Uprichard (stop sniggering at the back) he was convicted along with a few other first division footballers of throwing matches. Portsmouth lost so many games that particular season that they were relegated, and it took them many years to recover. In fact they may still not have done so.

grey george 21:27 18 Dec 2010

Media, media , media. Just sell those newspapers and TV channel subscriptions. Funny how F1 motor racing suddenly went down to the last few races as TV was looking to drop it. Sport is now a business, but I think there is less fixing than the hype suggests. After all if there is a suggestion of fixing more people tune in to see if they can spot it.

Eargasm 21:54 18 Dec 2010

Well as a Derby County fan, i am convinced that match fixing must go on, surely we can't be that bad every week !

Quiller. 22:35 18 Dec 2010

I'll send Robbie Savage round to *talk* to you.

My brother in law used to play for the rams!

Eargasm 22:42 18 Dec 2010

Wow! who is your brother in law ?
I can't remember anybody "Playing" for the Rams
since the Clough / Taylor days, only joining in:-)

Bapou 23:11 18 Dec 2010

Must admit, I keep wondering if the pitch will be doctored at some stage.

morddwyd 07:07 19 Dec 2010

I can't imagine anybody in their right mind thinking that it is necessary to "bung" the England team to get them to lose!

Quickbeam 07:58 19 Dec 2010

The rivalry between these two countries is as intense as it can get, especially in the Ashes tests.

Bapou 11:23 19 Dec 2010

I recall an expat coming back from OZ after 15 years. Accent you could cut with a knife and the attitude to go with it.

He was in the pub one night shouting the odds, he would never return for good. Country had gone down the pan, Shane Warne was God etc etc.

After some time he went out, supposedly to the Gents, a couple of lads followed. They returned, he did not, apparently they had words and he left. Something like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?