Credit Card reliance

gedr 14:21 19 Jan 2005

About two or three years ago I decided to replace my computer,
but as the item I wanted was a bit over my credit limit I thought I would pay by cheque, assuming that would be no problem as the money was sitting in my current account. But no, we got there in the end but it took about forty five minutes to settle.

Last year, to the same computer shop but I thought this I'm not having all that hassle so, armed with a bank draft off I go, thinking this will be easy, although I could identify myself as the person named on the order I still had to wait until they had contacted the bank to be sure the order was genuine. I don't I would be very popular in the till queue, having to wait twenty minutes.

I suppose it's a sign of the times.

Sir Radfordin 17:22 19 Jan 2005

A Bankers Draft is nearly always taken as being ready cash so it would only be a very paranoid shop that wouldn't accept it. Perhaps they are used to having lots of people trying to pull a fast one.

Wouldn't it have been quicker to get an increase on your credit card limit if even only for a short time?

gedr 17:43 19 Jan 2005

Yes I did do that in the end, but I was surprised that a shop like
PC World should be like that.
But apart from that I have no complaints about the service
whatsoever.

The expression Jobsworth spring to mind.

gedr.

Dizzy Bob 18:48 19 Jan 2005

If the money was in your account, why not use your debit card. (of course I am making the assumption that someone who has a credit card would have a debit card for their current account)

The Bankers Draft would have to be processed through the TRANSAX system used by most retailers.

Dizzy Bob

Dorsai 19:26 19 Jan 2005

The company i work for will only release goods paid for by cheque (over card limit) or Bank draft AFTER the cheque/draft has cleared. Credit card transactions over a certian limit require that the 'card holder' speak to the 'card issuer' and satisfy the 'card issuer' that they are indded the 'card holder'. This applys to staff as well as cunstomers.

Bank drafts & cheques can be forged. Modern Inkjet printers are Very Good.

I can only guess that modern UK Bank notes have a hologram on them to prevent people literally 'scanning and printing' their own money.

I realise that for the honest shopper, this is a pain, and even an embarrisment, but the shop is just trying to avoid getting ripped off. At the end of the day, if the shop does get ripped off, they just pass the cost on to the customers with higher prices.

gedr 19:40 19 Jan 2005

Dizzy Bob, I quite agree, on the face of it that does seem the logical thing to do, but when I suggested it I was told it could not be done for a sum of money that size.
I do see their point of view, I could have found ( ? ) a wallet so I would still have to prove it was mine, and after all, there is only the bank and myself know the cash is there to back it up, so we are back to square one.

oresome 19:43 19 Jan 2005

From what I read, credit card transactions other than by the chip and pin method are to be at the retailers risk, rather than the card company from around now.

So expect retailers to even more paranoid if you have an old card or the retailer hasn't updated the till!

gedr 19:48 19 Jan 2005

Dorsai
I certainly don't criticize the store in any way, they probably get ripped off in a great many ways.

gedr 20:01 19 Jan 2005

Quite right Oresome, I think that's how they work, I've always shopped using the debit card, it's only now that I've got a credit card as we are constantly being told it is the safest way to shop online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie