Credit Card Balance Transfer Fraud

realist 18:24 08 May 2008

I was contacted by John Lewis today to ask if I had attempted to make a balance transfer to my John Lewis credit card today.

I confirmed I had not, and was advised that someone had tried to dump their £4,900 balance onto my card!

Fortunately they had failed the telephone identity check and the transaction was refused.

My account was stopped and a new card will be issued.

jack 19:51 08 May 2008

How did that some one know you had a John Lewis Card?
Think about where you most recently used the card.

Totally-braindead 20:12 08 May 2008

A balance transfer TO your card. That means someone tried to put money into your credit card account is that right?
Can this be some sort of fraud where someone gives you money?
Surely the most likely explanation is it was a mistake and they tried to put money into the wrong account?
Or am I missing the point and they had your CC details and that was the worrying aspect.

belfman 20:14 08 May 2008

If my credit card balance is £4,900 then that means I owe £4,900. If my balance is clear it's £0 and if the account is in a minus then it means the card company owes me.

Totally-braindead 20:23 08 May 2008

Got it, sorry for the confusion. I got ripped of about 3 years ago for over £1000 that I did not spend. Got refunded no problem at all within a week.

interzone55 20:33 08 May 2008

My wife got a text message the other day from her bank asking her to telephone them on the usual number.

After the usual identity checks they asked if she'd just tried to top up her mobile using carphone warehouse's website using her visa card, to which she responded in the negative. They told her to cut up her credit card and that there was another coming in the post.

The failed transaction, the text message and the phone call all happened with 1/2 an hour. I do like First Direct, they're very efficient.

btw we think the fraud happened at MK One (cheap ladies clothes shop) because that's the only place she's used her card that doesn't have chip & pin, watch out when using shops that still have swipe machines...

realist 17:13 12 May 2008

Blimey, after the balance transfer scare now the wife's had a letter from Nationwide to say they've stopped a fraudulent use of her debit card in an internet transaction.

What's going on?

jack 17:38 12 May 2008

Some one knows more about you than is good for you.

Scrap all cards and get new one - now.

ajm 19:45 12 May 2008

" I do like First Direct, they're very efficient." I shall second that. I have a current, savings, ISA and Credit card account with them for over the past 7 years or so and they are really good. I especially like when they send sms text every day whenever there is activity on any of the accounts. Also that someone in the UK is available to speak 24/7, that really helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone