Crazy Seasons

morddwyd 19:40 13 Feb 2011

This morning I remarked to my wife that there were white solids in the rain falling on the windscreen, and this afternoon we were delighted to find a couple of snowdrops, our first for the year, in the garden.

This evening I found one of the strawberry plants, which I allow to grow freely all over the garden as a smother crop, so are totally uncultivated or protected, had blossom on it!

sunnystaines 19:54 13 Feb 2011

signs of an early spring when the flowers come out early and the birds sing at dawn, same down here in surrey.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 13 Feb 2011

Snowdrops in the Midlands as well, very mild for late Jan early Feb, I fear we have more cold weather to come yet.

peter99co 21:07 13 Feb 2011

I fear we have more cold weather to come yet.

About Thursday in the north.

ams4127 21:29 13 Feb 2011

Snowdrops up here in Anglesey as well.

morddwyd 22:04 13 Feb 2011

Snowdrops are quite normal this time of the year, in fact, ours are quite late.

I was commenting on strawberry plants in flower.

That's normally around a month or so before Wimbledon.

spuds 22:53 13 Feb 2011

After the recent bad weather, I decided to look at our apple trees today for a possible pruning session. The only problem, they now appear to be in bud?.

Forum Editor 23:59 13 Feb 2011

when you look at weather patterns over the past four or five hundred years.

If you look at the mid to late 1600s for instance, you'll find some of the coldest and some of the mildest winters on record.

Move forward about a hundred years - to 1770 - and in London it snowed continuously for four days in the first week of May.

The more you look at the weather records the more you realise that the seasons tend to vary quite considerably in some years. The only thing that's certain is that nothing is certain.

morddwyd 08:35 14 Feb 2011

Sorry FE, I think that bog standard outdoor strawberries in bloom at the same time as snowdrops, and before daffodils, is very unusual, unique in my experience.

Forum Editor 10:32 14 Feb 2011

seeds have been found that date back to the Mesolithic period, and they were probably growing a long time before that.

Over many thousands of years strawberry plants must have survived all kinds of temperature variations, and they've adapted - perhaps, as fourm member says, yours are chancing it a bit, but if it comes off the evolution of the strawberry might take a microscopic step forward.

morddwyd 16:42 14 Feb 2011

"it might survive and produce fruit"

No chance - I've got too many Blackbirds!

Haven't had a strawberry out of the garden in five years!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?