CPU Question

recap 12:49 30 Jan 2006

I have always known the CPU to stand for Central Processing Unit. This being the main chip for the motherboard.

A student in one of my classes said, the CPU is the tower that holds all the internal parts of the computer and that I was confusing her.

Computer furniture manufacturers refer to a cpu stand, (click here for an example) instead of what I would have called a tower stand.

What is your opinions and what have you always known the CPU to be?

rmcqua 13:13 30 Jan 2006

I think that everyone, with the possible exception of those who work in the furniture business, understands the CPU to be the chip. The only alternative I guess is to refer to the chip as a "processor". I must admit that I have never seen an item of furniture described as a CPU stand, until I saw your link.
(Students can be difficult, can't they!)

Totally-braindead 13:27 30 Jan 2006

Your student is wrong and you are correct, the link you gave is for what they call a mobile CPU caddy which I personally think is confusing, if they called it a mobile tower caddy them fair enough but their description is, in my opinion at least a bit on the stupid side.
I mean if you went into any computer shop and asked for a new CPU and someone showed you a processor and you then said no thats too small its to make sure it fits this and you showed them the picture they would of course say oh its a new case you want. If you argued then they'd probably think you were daft.

PaulB2005 13:46 30 Jan 2006

click here

As made by Inte and AMD.

Not the tower or case which holds all the drives etc

medicine hat 14:12 30 Jan 2006

There are a few more than Intel and AMD

click here

Thalmus 16:10 30 Jan 2006

To the computer literate the CPU is the chip that sits on the mother board and the whole tower itself is referred to as a base unit.

To the non literate however, I've heard them refer to base units as CPU's, hard disks etc.....

ade.h 16:26 30 Jan 2006

The non-PC-literate can be a major headache. I have two of them for parents and whenever I visit, their questions are often hard to follow. "You can't work the what?!"

I'd point your student towards Wikipedia if I were you, recap!

Forum Editor 16:40 30 Jan 2006

the Central Processing Unit - i.e. the silicon chip that sits on the motherboard and is the 'brain' of the computer.

spikeychris 16:44 30 Jan 2006

Hello recap. Some of the older techs I work with call mainframes CPU's, referring to the processor, memory (RAM) and I/O architecture
(channels or buses).

I have always thought that microprocessors are different to CPU's as processors have evolved from control units. They obviously do a very similar thing but a hell of a lot faster than they used to in a much smaller area.

Define:CPU says click here

spikeychris 16:46 30 Jan 2006

semantics-r-us.

:)

recap 16:57 30 Jan 2006

Thanks folks. The students previous tutor told her that the CPU was the tower not the central processing unit. I am wondering who taught him, and where was he taught.

Nice to see you are still around spikeychris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?