Coventry marks 70th anniversary of the Blitz

Noldi 17:57 14 Nov 2010

Terrible loss of life 1,200 in Coventry but when you see what happened in the fire storm Hamburg with 40,000 to 50,000 civilians burned to death, we should remember all who died no matter what side they were in these terrible military actions.

Total WWII - 60,000 British dead and 86,000 injured, German dead more than 600,000, some estimate that if 10% of the 25 – 27 million Germans that had been made homeless where killed then the total would have been just below 3 million. Terrible now matter how you look at it.

Noldi

n47. 19:25 14 Nov 2010

jews the germans fried, gassed or shot.

600,000 X 10 +?

morddwyd 19:55 14 Nov 2010

And your point is, in the context of remembering all those who died?

Remember, but move on.

n47. 20:02 14 Nov 2010

" we should remember all who died no matter what side they were in "

" but when you see what happened in the fire storm Hamburg with 40,000 to 50,000 civilians burned to death "

They were also countless millions butchered by the Germans and Japanese.

Remember them, also.

Jameslayer 20:47 14 Nov 2010

A lot of innocent people died in all sides of the war.

Noldi 21:01 14 Nov 2010

"They were also countless millions butchered by the Germans and Japanese."

That was my point. I just took the event in Hamburg as example to show not just English perished.

Noldi

Quickbeam 00:49 15 Nov 2010

There was a programme on BBC4 this year covering that.

My dad was out on the night of it running messages for the police. When he got home in the morning the rows of houses either side of his street were gone, and a school friend.

morddwyd 07:59 15 Nov 2010

" but when you see what happened in the fire storm Hamburg with 40,000 to 50,000 civilians burned to death "

These are not quotes from me.

I made a reference to "remembering all those who died".

That includes 23,000,000 citizens of the Soviet Union, against whose losses those of all other nations pale into insignificance, except for the loved ones of those who died, of course.

n47. 11:04 15 Nov 2010

You were asking what my point was and it was to the original posting by Noldi.

My interpretation of the posting was

That Germany suffered more in civilian casualties than the UK.

That may be so. I pointed out that one, of many, other group of civilians lost there lives. The terrible loss of innocent German lives is but a fraction of other innocent civilians butchered by the Germans and the Japanese.

"
And that is my point.

"These are not quotes from me."

Of course they are not. You replied AFTER I had posted

and they bear no response to your posting of

""remembering all those who died""

because you posted that AFTER my initial post.

Try and get you facts right.

jakimo 14:39 15 Nov 2010

Taking into account the events that led up to WWII,I don't think that those of us who lived and survived the war have little sympathy for German loses.

As for the Hamburg fire storm,if it hadn't been for the pilots in the 'Battle of Britain' Germany would have not hesitated in lighting up the skies of the UK with as many fire storms as their bombers could deliver.

morddwyd 20:15 15 Nov 2010

Yes, and the Vikings butchered and raped many thousands of people too, but like the war, it's over.

Move on.

I lived and survived the war, and I have met Luftwaffe veterans who bombed the place where I lived.

I no more hate them than I did the thousands of Muscovites who were targeted by weapons systems I prepared during the cold war.

If you visit a German war cemetery you will find it is just as quiet and sad as a British one, and just as likely to contain the body of the young man who may have discovered a cancer vaccine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?