Council Tax Frozen

laurie53 20:40 14 Nov 2007

Council tax frozen in Scotland.

Ain't devolution wonderful?

Now if they could just do the same with energy prices ..............

bluto1 21:10 14 Nov 2007

I wish they'd do it in England too.

georgemac © 22:32 14 Nov 2007

It's well overdue that above inflation council tax increases are stopped, it is very unfair on low income groups like pensioners

I also think that the plans to replace council tax with a local income tax will not be a fair system, and penalise unfairly those of us who work hard, earn a decent wage and contribute to society already through the high taxes we pay

I don't mind paying tax if the money is being used wisely, but the amount of waste in the public services is a joke - just look at the workrate on road repairs of private contractors compared to council workers, same can be said of painters etc etc

Also can private industry workers now largely out of final salary benefit pension schemes continue to fund through taxation public service final salary schemes? If private companies cannot afford this (due to the recent falls in valuation of pension scheme funds + companies having to make up the shortfall) can the public services continue to afford this type of pension provision?

Forum Editor 23:06 14 Nov 2007

and in any case it has yet to be ratified by members of the Scottish parliament, will only last for a year, and as fourm member says, wouldn't be binding on local authorities.

Ain't devolution wonderful?

laurie53 08:37 15 Nov 2007

Realise that it has to be approved by local councils, but they did consult with COSLA first, and since I have an SNP council I can't see them defying Big Eck!

anskyber 15:44 15 Nov 2007

It strikes me it's time to review the extra financial allocation per head to Scotland should be review by Westminster.

Jimmy14 16:59 15 Nov 2007

I assume you meant to include Northern Ireland in your post as they receive more money per head than any other part of the UK.

anskyber 17:50 15 Nov 2007

Happy to include them although I think there is a case for saying the recent troubles justify the restructuring they are doing.

The key for me is in the absence of any other overriding need (which there is not) the introduction of improved services in Scotland should be matched by reductions in services in Scotland elsewhere. Without that the UK taxpayer is giving too much.

georgemac © 19:30 15 Nov 2007

the figures can easily be disputed - frequently are by the SNP. The bulk of public money from the taxes of all the UK are spent on London and the South East, as are the bulk of subsidies like rail.

If London cuts the money to Scotland, independence will surely come - not sure if that is what I want but I do not fear it - we could easily make it on our own.

Jimmy14 21:17 15 Nov 2007

"Happy to include them although I think there is a case for saying the recent troubles justify the restructuring they are doing."

I also think there is a case for the justification to more spending in Scotland because of social and economic factors. Maybe you should take up the issue with your MP.

anskyber 21:27 15 Nov 2007

"I also think there is a case for the justification to more spending in Scotland because of social and economic factors."

That is a different point. My point is for a given population ( anywhere) there should be an assumed same level of service. I fully accept if the Scots or the Welsh wish to improve say Education at the expense of say health provision then it's up to them to decide. It appears (and I say appears) that in Scotland all services are provided at a higher level than elsewhere.

On top of the assumed same level of service there should of course be enhancements for specific needs which may be associated with things like being geographically isolated. The north east of England as an example received funding to help restructuring after the shipbuilding/mining/steel industries and so on ended (mostly)

The Scottish dimension seems to suggest that the basic service allocation of funds is more generous than is required. But then I wonder who was Chancellor for the last 10years, hmmmm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017