Council Tax Arrears

morddwyd 07:21 23 Apr 2015

I recently had a letter warning me my council tax is in arrears, and threatening legal action.

Since a live Direct Debit is in place, and has been for many years, and I have ample funds, I asked my bank why they had sopped paying.

They told me the council had cancelled the DD. When I asked the council why I was told it was because my wife had passed away.

Now I am the tax payer, the DD is on my account and, like all such, is open ended and for variable amounts, so can anyone suggest why it was cancelled?

The council have not yet been able to do so.

Pine Man 07:54 23 Apr 2015

Not wishing to state the blindingly obvious but the answer, whether you agree with it or not, is in your post.

'When I asked the council why I was told it was because my wife had passed away.'

Right or wrong that is the answer to your question.

Pine Man 08:06 23 Apr 2015

....but they don't know.

Brumas 09:19 23 Apr 2015

morddwyd, sorry to hear your wife passed away, my condolences.

john bunyan 10:04 23 Apr 2015

morddwyd

Quite apart from the Council's unreasonable attitude in not informing you of a change in the DD arrangement, I am so sorry for your loss.

At these difficult times Councils should be more sensitive. I would suggest a chat wit your local elected council representative.

cream. 11:17 23 Apr 2015

Could it be that the council tax will be reduced by 25% if one spouse leaves or passes away. Then a new assessmentn would be needed. This happened to me.

Very sorry to hear of your loss morddwyd.

cream. 11:18 23 Apr 2015

or even they may do an assessment.

Very difficult posting on a phone.

HondaMan 11:44 23 Apr 2015

They would look rather stupid taking any action against you in the circumstances and if they were stupid enough to do so, I feel sure you would get your costs awarded against them. Keep pushing for an answer, if necessary involve your local councillor. Although you will be entitled to a 25% reduction the question to be answered is, as you say, why did they cancel and not amend the DD

mole1944 14:53 23 Apr 2015

Under the mental capacity act i got a 25% discount,when my wife went into full time care (dementia),i had to inform the council twice once because the discount no longer applied then at the same time re apply as i was now single to get the 23% discount crazy,i only play by there rules,so sorry to hear of your loss.

caccy 16:59 23 Apr 2015

morddwyd

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunatly councils seem to live totaly in a world that only they understand.

morddwyd 20:03 23 Apr 2015

Thanks for the condolences. My wife went into full-time care a year ago, and had no quality of life at all, while fully compos mentis, by the end she could not even operate a TV remote. The care home was hit with a norovirus which she caught, and to be honest I think she just decided enough was enough. Not a decision I could argue with, but still a sad wrench after more than half a century!

On the council tax, First thing I did was contact my local councillor, who also happens to be the deputy leader, I though that would be the best way of quickly putting a hold on the legal action!

"it cannot be allowed that the Council can just cancel a Direct Debit Mandate without first informing you of why."

Obviously it can, because they did!

"Could it be that the council tax will be reduced by 25% if one spouse leaves or passes away"

Agreed, but that is the idea of a DD, the amount taken is variable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?