Could we cope with True Mirrors?

Brumas 23:10 04 Sep 2013
Answered

Seeing as there isn't much doing on the forum I thought I would put my serious hat on and put this on.

Ever since I studied physics, way back in the 60s at Riley Technical High School in Hull, I have had a thing about mirrors. We take the mirror image for granted as being a true depiction of what we see but, in reality it is a mirror image which is the complete opposite.

I have found this site which shows us what an true image would look like. Using an ordinary mirror or a true mirror for shaving, or ladies, for applying your makeup presents no problems but, finally getting to the point of all this, how would - or could your brain cope with having a true rearview mirror instead of a normal mirror in your car?

Looking in your rearview mirror the cars are actually driving on the wrong side of the road, something our brain sees and registers as being normal. Using a true mirror the cars would be seen to be travelling on the correct side of the road but would look strange as they would appear opposite in position to what we have been conditioned to accept as being normal - or have I got it all wrong??

Kev.Ifty 00:35 05 Sep 2013

Hey up Brumas

When I hold up a mirror to look in the shaving mirror to look at the back of my head and try to comb the last strands over the bold patch I get confused, left and right lol.

I have driven a few vehicles with reversing cameras. The first one it had a small view screen with a white line just meant to park the vehicle. That was ok. The other was a Toyota that had a display on the console. I looked over my shoulder more often then rely upon the cam thing.

Brumas I reckon my sweade would not cope lol

Brumas 09:18 05 Sep 2013

Kev.Ifty you'll have to buy a left-handed comb ;o}

hastelloy 09:51 05 Sep 2013

Looking in your rearview mirror the cars are actually driving on the wrong side of the road,

I don't think that can be right!

"And why do mirrors change 'left to right' but not 'up for down'........?"

Mirrors don't change anything. When you look in a mirror, your left is on the left of the image you see so looks like your right.

However, we are so used to seeing mirror images of ourseleves that, if we saw ourselves the right way round all the time it would confuse us. It would be interesting to try a True Mirror for a few days.

Brumas 10:54 05 Sep 2013

spider9 ah, another one of my favourites the camera obscura, it baffles me still!

Brumas 10:56 05 Sep 2013

marvin42 I should have said appear to drive on the wrong side of the road.

lotvic 11:10 05 Sep 2013

So is this True Mirrors thing like having eyes in the back of your head?

wiz-king 11:20 05 Sep 2013

lotvic My staff regularly tell me that I must have eyes in the back of the head!

Brumas 11:43 05 Sep 2013

lotvic I suppose it is really, very neatly put!

lotvic 12:29 05 Sep 2013

I don't think my brain can cope with that, I have enough problems looking out the front ;-)

hastelloy 14:29 05 Sep 2013

Brumas

I still disagree - when I look in my rear view mirror, the casr behind appears to be on the sam side of the road as me.

spider9

One of my favourite authors but I don't remember that one - I'll look it up. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires