The cost of war is disgusting

Si_l 14:13 09 Jun 2007
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 09 Jun 2007

Its not money that the issue its LIVES.

Never start something you are not prepared to finish.
If we don't see this through to the end then its all a waste.

wee eddie 15:40 09 Jun 2007

They can mean whatever you want them to mean.

Can I confuse the issue a little and tell why war is so profitable.

Firstly: You could have all those young men, and women, sitting on their butts in the USA, cleaning their worthless medals and getting bored. They're paid just about the same whichever way you look at it.

Secondly: There is an awful lot of hardware in Iraq, being used and tested in real time. You only have to pay your lot. The other half of the Testing Staff are paid for by Mullah Somebody-or-other. Another saving.

Thirdly: There is an awful lot of hardware in Iraq, being used and destroyed. That has to be replaced. Now there's an awful lot of folk employed, and paying Taxes, just to replace that stuff. Many of those are new jobs, as without the war, you would not have had to replace them. Therefor fewer people on the Dole! and just think of all those extra taxes they're paying!

The British Empire grew rich on that theory as did France, Portugal, Spain, Holland and Russia. Don't knock it!

wee eddie 15:42 09 Jun 2007

I'm becoming cynical in my old age.

Si_l 15:52 09 Jun 2007

You are correct that lives are more important, but as of today, the total death count from the Iraq war isn't even near the 200 mark. Put this in perspective to other wars and thats something to be happy about. Of course, if the death count was at 1, then that would be one too many, but think of all the good that the (as I speak) $433,126,050,000 could have done! It could have saved so many lives just by being put to good use and not wasted on this war.

Wee eddie: that is a terrible system to get rich off. It draws parallels with how despicable our country was when we got rich off the slave trade.

Jackcoms 16:00 09 Jun 2007

"the total death count from the Iraq war isn't even near the 200 mark"

Uh?? Where did you get that figure from?

click here and scroll down to 'Casualties' on the right-hand side (and even these figures are out of date)

wee eddie 16:08 09 Jun 2007

Who said anything about individuals getting rich. So long as you can keep the homeland from being damaged. Almost all of the Home Team benefit.

Also it's a very narrow, late 20th Century Western, attitude to be beating your chest about the Slave Trade.

I know that it's not nice but it has been the World's reality since the beginning of Human Society and will outlive our Great-Grand-Children.

It is very parochial to forget that at the source of the Slave Trade that supplied the Americas was a highly developed Afro/Arab Organisation of Slavers running up the East Coast and to India and the Mediterranean. They just saw the Atlantic Slavers as a new Market and supplied it.

Si_l 16:12 09 Jun 2007

Sorry, misleading Guardian quote - they failed to mention it was UK count only. (stands at 149 according to your Wikipedia article)

MichelleC 16:14 09 Jun 2007

Yep, man's inhumanity to man never ceases to amaze me. And it costs a lot, too.

We went to Yugoslavia when the kids were toddlers a year before war broke out. That was one beautiful country razed to the ground.

Jackcoms 16:20 09 Jun 2007

The Guardian??!! ROFL.

Yes, as I said, Wikipedia is out of date.

The 'landmark' figure of the 150th British serviceman to be killed was reached earlier this week

Legolas 16:35 09 Jun 2007

Your post reminded me of the origin of the phrase coined by Robert Burns a fellow countryman and used in his poem Man was made to Mourn: A Dirge, 1785:

'Many and sharp the num'rous ills
Inwoven with our frame!
More pointed still we make ourselves
Regret, remorse, and shame!
And Man, whose heav'n-erected face
The smiles of love adorn, -
Man's inhumanity to man
Makes countless thousands mourn!

How true these words are and when you consider they were written 222 years ago he had almost prophetic insight

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?