cost of conservatory??

rickf 15:38 10 Jun 2010

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the average costs of having a conservatory? Thinking of one for my garden.

peter99co 15:41 10 Jun 2010
  Im a diddy 16:32 10 Jun 2010

dont know about average,too many shapes and sizes.Bought one about 10 years ago,from BQ,cost £3k for Conservatorie,£300 for base and dwarf wall and £300 for erection and internal plastering/ floor.The labour costs were "mates rates" so shop around for installation,as the fully fitted prices are alot higher.

wiz-king 17:14 10 Jun 2010

Dont forget the cost of the base and at least a three brick high wall to stand it on + dampproof course + electrics + heating (it's not worth having one without some heating).

BT 17:43 10 Jun 2010

I had one built about 2 years ago.
Its 5m x 3m, fully double glazed with double French doors, on a brick base, with electrics, and cost me £8000.
Depending on where you live the going rate is usually about £600/sq/m.

I had a cushioned vinyl floor £400, and all round vertical blinds another £400, both fitted by local tradesmen.

rickf 19:22 10 Jun 2010

Thanks all. Very helpful.

Forum Editor 19:38 10 Jun 2010

that on order to be classed as a conservatory your construction must not have a floor area in excess of 30 sq metres. It must also have more than 75 per cent of the roof and more than 50 per cent of the wall areas as translucent material.

Remove the doorway between the conservatory and the house and you no longer have a conservatory - the building will be classed as an extension, and will have to fully comply with the building regulations. In some areas you may also have to obtain a formal planning consent before you proceed.

Keep it under 30 sq metres, and don't remove the door to the house - or any of the existing house wall.

If you want to save money in the future, get your builder to construct the floor as follows:

Minimum 50mm sand and cement screed on 150mm concrete slab on 100mm Celotex or similar dense foam insulation on heavy duty polythene damp-proof membrane (lapped to existing house DPC) on 25mm soft sand blinding on 100mm well-compacted hardcore.

That floor will be strong and properly insulated against heat loss into the ground - it will cost more initially, but you'll feel the difference. If you plan to lay underfloor heating just reverse the concrete/insulation - put the Celotex on top of the floor slab and then pay the screed, but add chopped fibre to it. Your builder will know about that.

Good luck.

morddwyd 20:34 10 Jun 2010

Once you've got it, it will probably become the most used room in the house.

There's something very satisfying in sitting "in the garden" in your dressing gown eating breakfast when there is snow lying all around!

spuds 20:53 10 Jun 2010

Get at least three quotes from reputable companies, with a good track record. Look around the neighbourhood might help.

We found that quotes can vary considerably, for basically the same/similar product. Make sure that there is a 'water-tight' warranty, and watch out for any offers regarding finance packages, because some can have hidden pit-falls.

Blackhat 23:31 10 Jun 2010

For FE and all I am not touting for business.

One of the companies I own manufactures and supplies conservatories to trade installers.
I do not have direct contact with the end user but I do supply all types of conservatory installers from one man bands to multi outlet dealerships. In my time I have seen it all, the good the bad and the down right outrageous.

My advice is quite plain.

1. At least 3 quotes, best if 2 or more are recommendations rather than from adverts.

2. You get what you pay for; most often the quality of installation is more valuable than the materials. Anyone can put up a quality piece of kit badly but a good fitter can make a great job with a competitive product.

3. Pay great attention to the roof glazing options, you can cook easily in the sun if you compromise in this area, active, anti-sun or self clean glass is great but pricey, if choosing polycarbonate ask about solar inserts, I supply quite a lot of this product and it really does reflect 80% of solar energy.

4. Don’t skimp on ventilation, a good range of top openers in the frames and consider roof vents if south facing, they can be manual, electric or climate controlled.

5. Please avoid DIY unless you are very experienced. Too many issues to discus here.

6. There are some TV adverts, there are some companies that I refuse to supply, I have a reputation to maintain.

As for price, that all comes down to individual detail, I have no idea what size or specification you are looking for. On average a small/medium size, low spec would range from £8000 to £15000 fully fitted.

BT 08:06 11 Jun 2010

That floor spec is similar to what my builder did, in addition to proper footings and cavity walls with insulation.
The chap who laid the cushioned vinyl also told me that there is a preferred type for conservatories that is more able to cope with the temperature variations encountered. He also laid a self levelling latex screed before the vinyl. Excellent job and amazing how quickly a professional can do it. It took him about 1/2 hour to do the screed and a similar time on the following day with his son to lay the vinyl, all in one piece with no joins. Would have taken me days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache