Copying CDs could be made legal

Diodorus Siculus 23:10 08 Jan 2008

Copying music from a CD to a home computer could be made legal under new proposals from the UK government.

Millions of people already "rip" discs to their computers and move the files to MP3 players, although the process is technically against copyright law.

Intellectual property minister Lord Triesman said the law should be changed so it "keeps up with the times".

Music industry bodies gave a cautious welcome to the proposals, which are up for public consultation until 8 April.

The changes would apply only to people copying music for personal use - meaning multiple copying and internet file-sharing would still be banned.

Owners would not be allowed to sell or give away their original discs once they had made a copy.

click here for more.

powerless 23:23 08 Jan 2008

click here

What's the difference?

Forum Editor 00:08 09 Jan 2008

so it "keeps up with the times"

Intellectual property minister Lord Triesman is the one who might usefully keep up with the times, and realise that he's opening a door through which few people are going to pass. I wonder if he has any idea of the number of people who actually ""rip" discs to their computers and move the files to MP3 players" nowadays - it can't be very many.

The other twenty or thirty million are downloading from iTunes and the like, or they're getting the stuff from a P2P file-sharing network. They certainly aren't out there scouring the shelves for CDs so they can copy them to their computers. I don't have comparative figures for the UK yet, but sales of CDs in America over the Christmas period were down by 21 million compared to the same period last year - a decrease of 21%.

I can't remember when I last bought a CD - I use iTunes for everything I want. Admittedly there are people still busily transferring their older music CDs to their hard drives, but to my knowledge nobody has so far been thrown into prison for doing it.

Never mind, it's a step in the right direction, and after all Lord Triesman is a Spurs fan, and will need something to feel good about after my team beats them tomorrow night.

interzone55 10:23 09 Jan 2008

I have to say that, with the exception of the current Radiohead album, I have never bought a track from a legal download site, mainly because of the drm restrictions.

Every track on my PC & MP3 player has been ripped from CDs in my collection. At least I'm free to shift tracks to any MP3 player I choose, using drag & drop so I'm not tied to the awful iTunes bloatware.

If you read to the bottom of Powerless's link it seems that it's always been legal to rip CDs for your own use - I'm confused, why does Lord Triesman have to make this legal if it's already legal?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:44 09 Jan 2008

It has never been legal to make copies of Cd's, LPs ot tapes (in the UK) that you own or have bought but the music companies have always turned a blind eye as it is obviously impossible to police. The problem arises when people copy their own Cd's and give them to others or even sell them. Copying one's own collection for personal use has never been a problem with copyright owners as the person has already bought the original music.
Anyone who owns the copyright on anything will immediately understand how it feels to have someone use your work for free, it is their living and income.

G

DrScott 10:48 09 Jan 2008

I still prefer to buy CDs. I use itunes and its ilk for individual tracks but for albums CDs usually work out cheaper and better quality. Plus free from DRM (usually) which otherwise stops me streaming music to the living room.

lisa02 11:01 09 Jan 2008

I have never used downloads as they are restrictive and expensive. Call me old fashioned but I just love to get the new shiny cd rather than just an mp3 on the hard drive.

I get the CD I can have both.
I don't scour shelves either... I buy them online.

georgemac © 11:04 09 Jan 2008

Have never used itunes, hate it. The kids do, but I still buy CD's, just bought a couple before Christmas.

My daughter has an ipod touch, so think I am inheriting her 30 gbyte ipod - I will use vpod to move my ripped CD mp3 files to it. This will replace my creative zen touch.

interzone55 11:05 09 Jan 2008

From the bottom of Powerless's link
---------------------
Copying CDs

If you've bought a CD in a shop, you can make a copy for your own personal use and you will not be breaking the law. You can also lend the CD that you bought to your friends if they want to listen to it.

However, it is illegal to make copies of CDs and give them to your friends or to sell pirate copies of CDs for a profit.
---------------------

Now that is from the direct.gov website - hence my confusion.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:13 09 Jan 2008

'Millions of people already "rip" discs to their computers and move the files to MP3 players, although the process is technically against copyright law.'...click here and 'It is now commonplace for consumers to copy
recorded music, and more recently fi lms, to allow
playback on different devices, such as from a
CD to a MP3 player. Many within the copyright
industries have accepted that this is reasonable
use. Among consumers there appears to be
a widespread belief that such action is already
permissible; and the vast majority of those
who are aware that it is not, think the current
restrictions on copying for personal use are unfair' from click here

The gormless Government appear have it wrong again although copying for personal use has always been tolerated and this is not the problem area.

G.

Totally-braindead 11:13 09 Jan 2008

All my MP3s have been created from CDs too. Therefore FE I think perhaps you might be somewhat oversimplifying the matter.
I'm sure theres many people like me who don't download lots of music for whatever reason and prefer to buy CDs instead and then create MP3s from them.
Maybe I'm wrong and am in the minority with this but to my mind its cheaper, and of course theres no restrictions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?