Copper Vase Old Game? (Semper Eadem )

Ex plorer 15:52 21 Nov 2007

Hi I have just tided out a cupboard and found this item which I bought over 40years ago, its never been cleaned or likely to be as it will go back where I found it, its a vase shape stands 10inches tall is of light tarnish copper color.
The base is hollow and looks like pewter and there is a piece of glass inset and three dice behind it.
There are also 8 penney's set into the vase dated 1806 with the head of George 111 facing out, britannica is upside down on the reverse of the penny.
Also the inscription
(Semper Eadem) which I googled and means always the same.
There is a shield with a stags head above it on a plaque, within the shield are best described as half moons upside down.
Anybody any Ideas on this was it a game of some kind.

birdface 16:53 21 Nov 2007

Well I can't find out anything to do with your ornament[game,]But I did pick this out about Semper Eadem,And where else but from. click here I beleive it is also on the coat of arms with Leicester county council .But so far can't find anything else about it.

birdface 17:03 21 Nov 2007

I dont suppose it has the makers name stamped on the bottom or sides.

Ex plorer 17:54 23 Nov 2007

Hi Buteman thanks for the interest, under closer inspection with a magnifying glass it has two 1807 pennies and 6 1806s they are very worn.
its got a hammered effect and at my best guess its copper that has been tined inside and out and its the tinning that's waring off giving it the copper tinge
I am wondering if it was used as a drinking vessel as
it holds nearly a pint.
I am reluctant to cleaning it as the black copper tinning are rather attractive.
I cant find any other markings.
You have given me an idea now to try and locate the coat of arms.

Brumas 21:12 23 Nov 2007

I am intrigued by this but I have no solution - I would like, if possible to see some pictures of it though.

Ex plorer 15:16 24 Nov 2007

Hi Brumas OK I will see what I can do, my son has a digital camera and I am sure he will help me sort some thing out, it may be next weekend before I see him again.
I am still in 35mm, I live out in the sticks so I cant do things very fast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?