Cookie Regulation

morddwyd 08:01 08 Mar 2011

Just read a news story about EU regulations on cookies

click here

What's that all about?

First time I've seen or heard anything about it.

wiz-king 08:46 08 Mar 2011

King Alfred burn them in 877. Now the EU is trying again.

interzone55 09:22 08 Mar 2011

This has been rumbling for a while.

To be honest I rarely bother about cookies. I just let CCleaner clean out all the ones I don't want to keep on my regular cleaning cycles.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:34 08 Mar 2011

People who spend any time worrying about cookies need to get real and get a life.

G

Quickbeam 10:34 08 Mar 2011

Foxes butter crinkles are my favourite.

Chegs ®™ 23:07 08 Mar 2011

I'm starting to lose interest in the EU bodies as they don't appear to comprehend that we have an elected parliament to make the rules for us & not a bunch of faceless individuals in foriegn parts.

birdface 07:26 09 Mar 2011

Well I suppose it all depends on how many cookies that you get every day.
Just normal browsing gives me anything from 70-100 cookies a day.
Add that to a years supply and what have you got,a computer full of cookies that you did not want and have not asked for.
If you believe it is ok for them to continue bombarding you with cookies that you don't want and have not asked for it is up to you.
I can see no point why you would want someone to track all of your moves on your computer when you have not asked them or given them permission to do so.
Just check what cookies you get every day and you will be surprised how many you have accumulated from sites that you have not even opened.
Need to get a life.
Wish I could ,well by my sell by date.

carver 07:57 09 Mar 2011

This gives you an idea about the different types of cookies click here

morddwyd 08:24 09 Mar 2011

"not a bunch of faceless individuals in foriegn parts."

You don't seem to realise that the bunch of faceless individuals in foreign parts is our elected parliament.

We, the majority, not we as individuals, voted to join them, and we voted on who tp send along to represent us.

The bunch at Westminster are simply a local elected body, like local councils are, and the mainland parliament has a major influence on our lives.

How many of those of us who are constantly against the EU, and I include myself, voted for any of the parties, such as UKIP, who have sworn to leave the EU?

Forum Editor 14:59 09 Mar 2011

The new law would make it necessary for individual web sites to get your 'explicit consent' to set cookies.

Unless you say 'yes' they will not be allowed to set the cookie.

The problem with all laws like this isn't the concept - it's a good idea to seek consent - but the execution. How is the law to be enforced, and by whom?

morddwyd 20:39 09 Mar 2011

Thank you.

I now await further developments with bated breath (Well, perhaps not!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?