Cooker Hood Cleaner

johndrew 14:51 18 Sep 2009

My wife has given me a job to do - cleaning the cooker hood. However, as we all know, these get caked in dried oil even if you fry only infrequently. The unfortunate side is trying to find a decent solvent or degreaser that will cut through without removing paint, softening plastic or damaging any wood in the vicinity.

I have searched and found a number of suggestions from proprietary brands such as Grease Away and Orange Glo Wood Polish to washing soda and WD40!

Can anyone either validate a product or recommend a substance/mixture from experience; preferably one that leaves paint, plastic, wood and skin intact.

Many thanks in anticipation.

spuds 15:53 18 Sep 2009

I also find that this is an hard to answer question, so your question might come in handy, if someone as an answer ;o)

Tried most of the advertised brands, without much success, even tried things like turps etc.

The more baked the grease is, the more difficult it seem to be able to remove. Scraping and buffing is a sure no-no.

Chegs ®™ 16:33 18 Sep 2009

My Dad's kitchen was ingrained with over 10yrs of grease/grot,the grill pan was half full of rancid grease(he had employed a local lass to clean the house but all she ever did was shove a hoover round the sitting room)When I returned home after my marriage failed I was appalled at the state the house was in,so set to cleaning it from top to bottom(although the kitchen was on the ground floor I started there as I would need to eat)I asked a mate what would be the best to cut through the thick layers of greasy crud & he suggested (of all things) tar-spot remover(for cars)I filled an empty "squirty" kitchen cleanser bottle,donned rubber gloves(the tar-spot remover is caustic to skin)and started work.Twenty four hours later,the kitchen was showing signs of the work in progress(the really bad areas I sprayed with the tar-spot remover & left it for several hours)and after 4 days of scrubbing & cleaning,the kitchen was pristine.The tar-spot remover did no damage to brushed aluminium,plastic(sticky backed wood effect on the cupboard doors)or the ceramic topped cooker.I used the tar-spot remover everywhere & also used 3 gallons of the stuff.I cannot recall the brand names of the tar-spot liquids,but ask at a car accessory establishment & they will advise you further. Try this swarfega type products click here rather than this type click here;best=true

oresome 17:30 18 Sep 2009

I think it's fair to say that whatever you use, it still requires a lot of effort on your part to remove it.

In fact the adverts on the TV where the item is simply wiped over with minimum effort need to reported!

lotvic 17:39 18 Sep 2009

'Oven Pride' about a fiver from most supermarkets.
Excellent stuff, you just apply and leave to soak overnight and it dissolves the layers of baked on grease.
Always use with care and don't get any on your bare skin or it will strip that off as well. Wear rubber gloves or the ones supplied in the pack.

I have used it and thoroughly recommend it, brought my whole cooker up like new with the minimum of effort.

Stuartli 17:58 18 Sep 2009

I'll second Oven Pride - but it's cheaper than a fiver...:-)

Use it to maintain the work done by this firm:

click here (franchise)

about two years ago.

The other half suddenly decided that our oven was in desperate need of attention after seeing one of this firm's vans across the road.

The neighbour provided a good reference, so we booked an appointment. It took about two hours to do the work (including the cooker hood as I had regularly changed the filter, otherwise it would have been extra).

The oven's removable parts were deposited in cleaning liquids housed in the van to save messing up the kitchen.

Result was a sparkling oven and shelf racks and a very reasonable £60 bill.

Quickbeam 18:20 18 Sep 2009

Engine degreaser works a treat click here available from all motorists discount shops!

johndrew 20:16 18 Sep 2009

Many thanks for all your responses.

I really do want to keep the skin on my hands and think that Gunk is a good idea as I have used it for greasy mechanical items in the past (although I didn`t even think of it for this job). Hopefully I will also keep the bill lower than £60!!

Oven Pride sounds a good second choice but I shall be very careful as caustic soda ( I feel certain this contains it) will take paint off; it can also ruin wood.

I shall keep an eye on this thread and post my own findings when I try Gunk and/or anything else.

Thanks again for all your input.

sconedd 23:49 18 Sep 2009

johndrew, have you tried Sugar Soap?. I was a Painter & Decorator for 45 years, we used to use sugar soap or veevic if we could get it. Make a strong solution and soak it overnight if you can, don't forget to wear gloves and goggles. It won't strip paint off (not the present day stuff anyway). We always used to get good results, after cleaning off with hot water. Hope this helps. Sconedd

Stuartli 23:59 18 Sep 2009

The point being made was that an all-out professional cleaning of the problem meant that keeping the oven and associated components has made the task so much simpler since.

I know that I could never have matched the eventual result however hard I had tried...:-)

BT 08:32 19 Sep 2009

I use CIF kitchen cleaner spray on our cooker hood. Works pretty well on our stainless steel one.

Good place for filters etc as well as Vacuum cleaner bags
click here
I buy the carbon filter sheets and cut to fit. Much cheaper than any other ones I've found and

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017