'Contains no added sugar'

Quickbeam 18:44 25 May 2009

Anyone else noticed how difficult it is to buy fruit squashes 'with added sugar' rather than the awful and insipid saccharine sweetened squashes?

I was trying to buy fruit squashes at Morrisons other than traditional orange and lemon flavours but they are now all in the 'contains no added sugar' category.

The basic orange and lemon with sugar drinks are now branded as 'classic'... what's that all about?

justme 19:56 25 May 2009

I may be cynical, but the sweeteners are cheaper than sugar to sweeten to the same extent.

Having said that, I hate the taste of the artificial sweeteners and refuse to knowingly buy products containing them but the manufacturers of "sugar free" drinks in cans are now making the sugar added and sugar free cans look very similar and sometimes I get caught out.

BT 07:59 26 May 2009

I buy the 'no added sugar' High Juice fruit squashes. I've tried most of them from the different supermarkets and conclude that Tescos taste the best. Unfortunately its difficult to avoid the artificial sweeteners, but I see that Morrisons use Sucralose (E955) in their products.
I do my best to avoid any product that includes Sucralose or Splenda. Just Google it to see why.

Quickbeam 09:08 26 May 2009

It's the deliberate lack of choice that riles me. I know Robinson's make all the flavours in the full sugar versions, but the supermarkets choose to not give them the shelf space to sell them on.

Quickbeam 09:48 26 May 2009

Whatever your opinion of these as additives is, the fact is they are all insipid and cannot compare with sugar as a pleasant tasting sweetener.

sunnystaines 10:09 26 May 2009

Why not buy fruit juice then there is no sweeteners or sugar.

or better still we make our own fruit drinks with a vitamix blender just 100% fruit.

Chegs ®™ 14:02 26 May 2009

I used to take my tea/coffee with sugar,but after enduring multiple abcesses under teeth despite the best efforts from dentists,I switched to using sweeteners and havent had any more abcesses.The changed taste of tea/coffee took a little getting used too,but I now prefer sweeteners to sugar.

johndrew 15:06 26 May 2009

It would appear that a lot depends on what you believe and what `works` for you when it comes to sugar substitutes. Both the natural and synthetic camps have vested interests and any manufacturer of foodstuffs using a sweetener will look at the production costs. But from one side alone this click here is interesting regardless of any opinion as to accuracy.

wee eddie 15:10 26 May 2009

I find the taste of "Aspartame" abhorrent.

One just has to use the real thing, but less of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?