Confusion or competition

octal 16:51 24 Sep 2007

click here

As many of you already know I run Linux, having said that I haven't got a Axe to grind one way or the other what people use, it's their free choice.

I think competition is good, I do worry when they say in the article things like "We do not believe this would add complexity for consumers. Consumers would simply be asked to insert an operating system DVD when they first turn on a new computer, which would then automatically configure itself," the report says.

As far as I'm concerned this is a very simplistic approach, as we all know there's more to it than just sticking a CD or DVD in the drive like a movie and away you go. I think this is just going to add more confusion to the already confused public thinking, say, switching to Linux as the cheap option without knowing the full facts about the systems on offer. I haven't installed Vista so I stand corrected, but I guess that still needs a fair amount of tinkering to get it working from a fresh install, so it's not even good news for Microsoft.

I'm all for competition, but I don't think this is the way to go.

Riojaa 16:58 24 Sep 2007

""Microsoft's dominant position is not in the public interest. It limits the market and has slowed technical development to the prejudice of consumers," said the report."

Just ask any decent Chelsea fan and I think that they will agree with the sentiments expressed here!

octal 17:08 24 Sep 2007

Erm, sorry, I know nothing about football so I can't see the connection.

Mike D 17:13 24 Sep 2007

However, most PC's are sold as consumer items and bought by people with less technical savvy than is needed. How is unbundling Windows going to help these folks? Will Apple have to unbundle their OS?

This is recipe for disaster and the enrichment of the local PC expert who will have more that enbough work to last into old age. It would be a good idea for think tanks to actually think before making such pronouncements.

I personally do not think the EU's dominance is good for the consumer!

interzone55 17:23 24 Sep 2007

Most consumers want a PC that works.

You find me an OS (short of Mac OS X) that works from a fresh install and I'll show you a flying pig. Even with Mac OS that is tied to limited hard ware.

When a PC is marketed the manufacturer will have spent some considerable time assembling the hardware components. The OS will then be installed, then the correct hardware drivers for the graphics, sound, CD / DVD writing software etc will be installed. This set-up will be soak tested for a day or two. If it hasn't fallen over an image of the disk will be created.

This custom image will be copied onto all these models sold.

I know this because I used to work for a large OEM, and saw the department that created new models struggling to get stable images together.

If new PCs were sold with just a standard Windows installation they wouldn't work anywhere near as well as they do, as they would only have MS drivers installed, and they would be as old as the OS, they wouldn't have the latest genuine manufacturers drivers.

Forum Editor 17:48 24 Sep 2007

"I know nothing about football so I can't see the connection."

Don't worry, there isn't one.

Earthsea 17:56 24 Sep 2007

It's a harebrained idea. People want a machine they can just switch on and use. Perhaps the think tank should have consulted with a common-sense tank.

Forum Editor 18:00 24 Sep 2007

that there is the slightest chance of a market in which a consumer buys a computer without an operating system, then chooses an operating system disk that will simply be inserted in a DVD drive and will 'configure itself' is living in La-la land.

The whole point about the PC market is that it needs to be made easier for consumers, not more complex. The vast majority of off-the-shelf machines have Windows preinstalled for a reason - it makes life easier for the manufacturer, the retailer, and the consumer. The fact that the Globalisation Institute seems to have failed to understand that most basic of concepts speaks volumes - as does the fact that the Institute's main function in life is to further the interests of European commercial enterprises. If Microsoft was a European company I doubt that you would be hearing a peep about this from the Globalisation Institute.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?