Conficker strikes hospital network

TopCat® 14:53 20 Jan 2009

Won't people ever get the message? click here

It seems this Trust had a policy in place that would apply security updates across its network a few weeks after the patch release, and enforce a reboot. The mind boggles! TC.

Seth Haniel 15:39 20 Jan 2009

People close to the incident criticised the management decision to disable updates across the entire network rather than only where the reboots caused a problem. "Don't you just hate it when your boss is so computer illiterate yet has the power to veto the simplest of ideas to catastrophic end," said one, who asked to remain anonymous.

Forum Editor 23:57 20 Jan 2009

on many occasions - it's widespread in both public and commercial concerns.

ronalddonald 16:22 21 Jan 2009

my laptop got hit with kido but i used avari to get rid of it, i also had it onmy pen drive but its gone when i reformated the pen drive and cross checked with avari. Im sure the Governemnt of all people could of purchased adecent anti virus, the problem is that a lot staff use the internet and docotrs like to use their own pen drives

€dstowe 09:08 22 Jan 2009

Anyone wondered what the "ficker" part of the word means in German?

€dstowe 09:15 23 Jan 2009

A Squared claims to be able to remove this.

User-1229748 11:09 23 Jan 2009

anyone wondered what the "ficker" part of the word means in german? lol i did wonder until i just watched the south park uncle ficker song in german on youtube :o)

dagnammit 13:29 23 Jan 2009

"The decision to disble automatic security updates was taken during Christmas week after PCs in an operating theatre rebooted mid-surgery."

That was the scariest thing I read in that article.

Condom 13:59 23 Jan 2009

As a long time retired hospital chief executive I am not surprised that this sort of thing happens. Not so long ago all hospitals relied on central computer support and indeed many still do today.

On becoming trusts some took over responsibility for computer development and others chose to remain with central support or joined up with other hospitals. I myself knew of the wonderful benefits from desktop PC's as against the huge mainframes we mostly relied on on those days but my computer knowledge was a fraction of what I know today as computers really only became a hobby of mine following retirement.

I hired and relied on experts in their fields and if quick computer decisions were required I often had to rely on the information given to me by these experts.

I'm sure this is still the norm today so I'm pretty sure (although I don't know the facts in this case) that senior management took a position based on information given.

Also just because a computer is in a theatre complex doesn't necessarily mean that it is controlling anything clinical or life endangering.

I'm sure that whatever decision was taken it was taken following expert advice. The real questions to ask are, was this advice ignored or blatantly wrong and if so why. Also how in god's name did the bug get in in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?