The complexity of the english language.

wolfie3000 05:02 16 Jul 2006

After posting to a thread earlier i realised that the english language can be quite complex.

As in the post i did on another threan the word read although spelt the same can be said differently e.g.

I will READ a book.

And the past tense,

I have READ a book.

I guess although the english language is the most common on earth i can still see why some people have problems learning it.

Are there any other quirks in the english language?

€dstowe 06:23 16 Jul 2006

"Are there any other quirks in the english language?"

Loads and loads.

One that strikes me as particularly confusing if English isn't your first language is the pronunciation of words containing "ough" For example

cough

bough

though

thought

and so on.

€dstowe 06:56 16 Jul 2006

Missed out rough.

namtas 07:01 16 Jul 2006

In a similar way, I am reminded of the tale regarding the reply received back from a student studying English.

The guy had written that he had "a cough on his chest..."

The return reply from the student acknowledged the letter and passed his regards, he went to say he did not understand the reason for keeping a “cow in a box"

wolfie3000 07:06 16 Jul 2006

Another one is,

That student is LEARNED.

That student LEARNED to spell.

wolfie3000 07:09 16 Jul 2006

Just thought of another,

BOW and arrow.

BOW to the crowd. :)

wolfie3000 07:13 16 Jul 2006

Edstowe

You forgot Drought :)

BT 08:13 16 Jul 2006

My particular gripe is the way that so many people cannot differentiate between BOUGHT and BROUGHT.
Listen to any TV/Radio programme and you will hear it all the time. It is so obvious to me and is uttered by most Presenters, Reporters and Actors as well as the general public.

It is so simple to determine the correct one to use.

BOUGHT is a past tense of BUY

BROUGHT is a past tense of BRING

Mr Mistoffelees 08:22 16 Jul 2006

I am frequently irritated by the failure of English people to properly learn the use of our native language. BT's example is just one of many and I am also dismayed by the ongoing Americanisation of our language.

€dstowe 09:29 16 Jul 2006

If we are going on to misuse of words, one I find extremely irritating is the modern "yoof-speak" use of "of" in place of "have", example:

"Ought to of brought" (using my "ough's" of before).

Unfortunately, this is passing to people old enough to have had a real education that is, taught the English language properly instead of this "phonetics" tripe where the philosophy is that it doesn't matter about the spelling as long as it seems right (rite? write?)

vinnyT 09:32 16 Jul 2006

Word, man, init;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017