Complete opposites!

Brumas 21:31 09 Aug 2007

Had a short two day break and revisited an area I had last worked in 1971. Of course whilst in Harrogate we had to visit that most quintessentially British institution Betty’s Tearooms, which as you probably know was started by a Swiss confectioner!
We couldn’t fault it, even the 20 minute queue to be seated was bearable as we were lucky enough to get a much sought after window seat. Admittedly the bill was ‘a little steep’ (£10) but the two pots of Betty’s own blended tea and two plates of freshly made steaming hot pikelets were delicious.

Completely opposite to this was a brief foray on to Halifax railway station in order to use the lavatory – no chance – there were NO toilet facilities anywhere, everything was dilapidated, weeds growing everywhere. To cap it all, as my wife has difficulty walking we used the lift, big mistake, it was obviously used as a urinal!!
Still we did have an interesting mooch around Piece Hall in Halifax (where we should have used the toilets) and that didn’t cost a bean ;o)

tullie 23:50 09 Aug 2007

We are allways moaning about being ripped off in this country,which we are,and heres you saying it was worth it!Cant comment on Halifax Station though

Stuartli 00:37 10 Aug 2007

You get a far superior welcome in Lancashire...:-)

cream. 00:48 10 Aug 2007

Let me assure you that Betty's tearooms in all their manor of locations are an excellent value for money establishment.

We frequent the Harrogate, York and Northallerton tea rooms on high days and holidays and have done since 1976. You have, unfortunately, picked the cheaper option on the menu. If you were to pick the high tea option you would have been staggered at the delights to grace your table. Sandwiches, cakes, scones and tea a plenty for a few pounds more.

As to your choice to use Halifax railway station, I will say no more:-(

cream. 00:50 10 Aug 2007

Blackpuddin and a friendly muggin?:-)

sunny staines 08:08 10 Aug 2007

had my wedding reception in betty's tea rooms in york 1977

interzone55 10:06 10 Aug 2007

My wedding was catered by Bettys' as my soon to be mother-in-law purchased almost all the buffet food from Bettys' at Ilkley. A fantastic spread I must say.

If you are in the county of Palatine you could do worse than visit Slattery's in Whitefield click here but be warned, you will spend a small fortune in the shop on the ground floor.

Another fine place for afternoon tea on the correct side of the Pennines is Nutters click here afternoon tea is £15 for finger sandwiches, cakes & tea or coffee, delivered on a 3-tier stand just like in a Miss Marple

Stuartli 10:18 10 Aug 2007

You'd have to be Nutters to pay that sort of price...:-)

Al94 11:41 10 Aug 2007

Agreed!

interzone55 12:11 10 Aug 2007

Indeed you would, but it's a very nice place to go for a special treat.

And add to that the fact that I only live a mile away I can indulge myself from his extensive wine list and just walk home.

Stuartli 12:13 10 Aug 2007

A wine list.

That's more like it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017