compensation cheque to a recently deceased person

jay.p 23:13 29 Aug 2008

Over 3 years ago my nan and all the people in her road were told they would get compensation as a new busy road was being built at the end of their road. This was completed about 2 years ago.

A solicitor contacted her and all the residents individually and they all filled in forms and sent them back. My nan passed away 6 weeks ago and my mum and her sister found a letter in her belongings stating she would be getting her compensation cheque sometime soon.
Her estate is going to probate (the sister is doing this herself) at the moment and her bank accounts are closed. Does anyone know if my mum and sister would still get the compensation, as the cheque would be in nans name and the accounts are now closed, or would it be void now she has passed away.

Forum Editor 23:19 29 Aug 2008

is paid to an individual, and only the individual - you can't claim it after your grandmother's death.

spuds 23:45 29 Aug 2008

I would suggest that whoever is dealing with your Nan's estate, makes contact with the sender of the solicitors letter. The compensation claim could be for a number of reasons like disruption to the area, loss of land, inconvenience, stress or future improvements to property (ie sound-proofing or possible structural work).

dms_05 08:41 30 Aug 2008

When my Father died in 2004 his bank allowed me to continue paying money into his account but would not allow me to withdraw until I had obtained probate (at which point they paid me the total balance). Perhaps you can ask the bank as the cheque may form part of the Estate. I'm suspect no one would question the cheque and payment if her bank would accept it into her account.

You may like to seek advice from a Solicitor, the payment was promised whilst your relation was alive but wasn't paid until after she died.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone