Coming to a garage near you, via the bank! :)

TopCat® 17:42 23 Jan 2014
Answered

The car that can self-park itself with control from just a smartphone. whatever next? The car that can clean itself? :) TC.

Forum Editor 18:18 23 Jan 2014

Who remembers that Jaguar 'innovation' of years ago - the one where a small wheel came down from underneath the car, lifted the rear, and slid it sideways into a parking slot?

All you had to do was get the front end into the space and hydraulics did the rest - at least, that was the idea. I don't think it ever made it into production models, but I could be wrong.

This idea is a good deal more sophisticated, and the technology is tried and tested - I'm sure it will be a big selling point. That's my red car in the clip, by the way.

Aitchbee 19:32 23 Jan 2014

I wonder how this self parking car's on-board computer would 'cope' with a tight parking manoevre on a very steep incline?

onthelimit1 19:38 23 Jan 2014

Aitchbee.

Better than my wife, probably!

Aitchbee 19:42 23 Jan 2014

onthelimit1 - at least, that proves your wife is not a robot. hee hee

bumpkin 21:36 23 Jan 2014

FE That's my red car in the clip, by the way. unusual number plate:-)

natdoor 17:19 24 Jan 2014

This is an early manifestation of the takeover of human activity by robots. Some experts predict that in a few decades the majority of jobs will be lost, not merely manual tasks but including professions such as surgery and accountancy and, hopefully, merchant bankers. Of course, a situation in which the majority of the population are unable to earn any money will mean that the market economy would collapse, leaving the robots with little to do. The anticipated solution is to pay a "wage" as a benefit to all, the money coming from the companies using the robots. Taxation will probably be based on wealth rather than income. Perhaps Marx was right!

oresome 19:00 24 Jan 2014

natdoor,

People have feared machines for hundreds of years, yet more people are employed today than ever.

We just need to continue printing money so we can spend more.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:04 24 Jan 2014
Answer

For all those hopeless people, related to Reginald Molehusband, self-parking cars will be wonderful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?