Coffee prices

Marko797 11:56 24 Oct 2009

Not sure whether to put this in Consumerwatch or here.

We generally buy coffee each week, and pay c.£2.89 for a jar of Nescafe Black Gold at Tescos. The price up, until yesterday, had been fairly consistent. This week however, the price had shot up to £3.55; a huge 66p increase.

Similar increases have occurred on Nescafe & other brands at Asda, with most same-sized jars now being around the £3.40-ish mark.

Can anyone explain the apparent increase in coffee prices, or is it only me who has noticed?

bobbybowls 12:04 24 Oct 2009

some info click here apparently Brazil is producing less coffee, so there is a world shortage.

Jak_1 12:09 24 Oct 2009

Not a problem for me as yet, a short while ago Tesco were selling Douwe Egberts coffee at £3 for a 200 gram jar, I bought 6!

crosstrainer 12:13 24 Oct 2009

No, they have definitely increased....Coffee is a commodity, and is traded as such on the stock exchange.

My favourite brand has shot up by 85p a jar :((

Forum Editor 12:30 24 Oct 2009

as the others have pointed out. Not many people know that coffee is the world's second largest traded commodity after oil in terms of the value of the market.

There are two main coffee trading markets - one in New York, which trades in Arabica futures on the Intercontinental exchange, and one in London, which trades in Robusta futures on Euronext. There are other markets in Singapore Commodity Exchange (Robusta), the Commodities & Futures Exchange in Brazil (Arabica) and the Tokyo Grain Exchange (Arabica and Robusta).

One of the things that can affect world coffee prices in a major way is a frost (or even the threat of one) in Brazil. One frost can affect coffee yields for succeeding years, and Brazil dominates world coffee production. If Brazilian coffee yields even look like being down the price of coffee will tend to rise worldwide.

You can't harvest beans from a new bush until it's at least three, and sometimes five years old, and it takes a whole coffee bush to give enough beans for a pound of ground coffee. Arabica bushes (my favourite) only produce beans every other year, so prices are obviously going to fluctuate a fair bit if there's a bad year.

interzone55 12:34 24 Oct 2009

Yep, same here.

The problem is compounded by the fact that Asda have pulled their own-brand organic coffee, which was <£2 a jar.

I'm not paying >£3 for Nescafé so I've bought a 60p jar of Red Mountain from Wilkinson's today...

BRYNIT 12:40 24 Oct 2009

I've noticed some items suddenly going up in price only to go on promotion a couple of weeks later.

birdface 13:34 24 Oct 2009

Bought 4 jars of Nescafe from Asda's last week on special offer.
300G jars for £4.00. 200G jars for £4.60
And it is sometimes cheaper to buy two 200G jars instead of the one 300G jar.
Confusing yes.But it tastes nice.

sunnystaines 13:40 24 Oct 2009

I'm off to whittards tomorrow for some coffee beans [santos&java mix] will check the price.

will be in jamaica in january might try and visit blue mountain the mecca of fresh coffee addicts.

jack 13:51 24 Oct 2009

There were vessels moored up in the roads loaded to the gunnels with beans simply waiting for a market shift before being 'landed'
This also happens to other commodities- shipping deliberately held off whilst waiting for a price shift- up of course.

interzone55 14:28 24 Oct 2009

I've just watched Jimmy's Food Factory on iPlayer.

All you need to make instant coffee is some super strong brewed coffee, a couple of steel bins, a couple of hot air guns and an industrial paint sprayer...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires