Clocks going back GMT

beeuuem 22:04 29 Oct 2011
Answered

I'm fascinated to know - who tells the animals the clocks have gone back? from "And animals' behaviour will change for the worse when the clocks go back, according to new research by The Co-operative Pet Insurance.

Lee Mooney, head of pet insurance at The Co-operative, said: "The research shows that pets, like humans, are affected by changes of the seasons and that the turning back of the clocks to represent British Winter Time can exacerbate this."

rdave13 22:27 29 Oct 2011

It's a load of cock and bull.

rdave13 22:44 29 Oct 2011

This, on the other hand, will benefit all, including the cocks and bulls in my humble opinion, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15490249

Macscouse 23:53 29 Oct 2011

rdave13 Those living north of Glasgow wouldn't see sunrise until 11am in December, and in summer, sunset would be after midnight. Still seem good for everyone?

rdave13 23:58 29 Oct 2011

Macscouse

Once Scotland gets their independence they can do what they wish. For the rest of us it will be financially beneficial I think in my humble opinion.

lotvic 01:22 30 Oct 2011

Scotland will be back in the Dark Ages then.

gengiscant 05:02 30 Oct 2011

Lotvic

I don't think they have ever been out.

birdface 07:47 30 Oct 2011

Scotland Rule!

On the news the other day it said if Scotland would agree to the time change then all of the Uk would change.

So the chances of change are slim.

It was tried out in the 60s or 70s for 6 month and it was not a big success.

Kids going to school in the dark was one of the problems.

Accidents going to school and work rose and it was about the same time that they stopped making black painted cars.

Crosstrainer2 08:13 30 Oct 2011

I seem to find that it takes me a couple of weeks to make the adjustment. That's because I add the hour when looking at my DAB radio clock in the bedroom. "Oh, it's actually.....XAM) I don't think it has any perceptible effect on the dawn chorus.

We measure time in a linear fashion, whilst animals have a body clock that simply tells them when it's light I do this, and when it's dark I do this.

Just a thought.

BT 08:29 30 Oct 2011

..whilst animals have a body clock..

They most certainly do. My cat opens the bedroom door at 7am almost to the minute if I'm not already up, and he knows when its 6pm, time for his dinner.

morddwyd 08:42 30 Oct 2011

Animals, the domesticated sort, do adjust to the change, but gradually.

I remember the days before automation when cows had to be brought in for the milking.

When the clocks changed they were either waiting at the field gate an hour before man made time, or they would have to be rounded up and called in.

For a few weeks we would simply go out a little earlier/later each day until they became used to it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?