Cleaning a composite resin sink...

Quickbeam 10:27 04 Oct 2017

Anyone living in a hard water area with an resin sink and know how to make it sparkle again?

No matter how well I clean it, it dries with a dull limescale film on it. It doesn't help that I've got the black one rather than the cream ones which can disguise the limescale!

I've tried all the vinegar and other suggestions that are flying around the internet, but to no avail...

rdave13 10:44 04 Oct 2017

This chap had been oiling it, YouTube link .

Quickbeam 11:59 04 Oct 2017

I tried the oil method, but it leaves a sticky residue that attracts dust and fluff!

wee eddie 13:30 04 Oct 2017

You have damaged the surface (it's become pitted) and the problem is insoluble. I'm afraid that that is a problem with Resins.

Quickbeam 13:57 04 Oct 2017

"You have damaged the surface"

Not over the entire surface are of a sink + half and drainer!

It's evenly dulled over the entire surface area over 4 years of normal kitchen use.

wee eddie 15:31 04 Oct 2017

Many common kitchen chemicals damage resins. particularly some of the, what are known as, Surface Cleaners.

Forum Editor 16:23 04 Oct 2017

Modern resin composite sinks are incredibly tough, and will not usually be damaged by ordinary chemical cleaners - the risk is actually greater where wastes are concerned, so care is needed.

Oddly enough, black sinks are the most difficult of all when it comes to maintenance - they tend to show every trace of limescale, whereas other colours don't. Whatever you do, don't use bleaching agents - tempting as it might be.

You can safely try cleaners like Cif if the vinegar method hasn't worked, and at the same time gently scrape the limescale away with a plastic scouring pad. Keep at it, and when you get the sink looking better, introduce a drying regime - wipe the sink clean of all water after each use, it's the only way.

caccy 20:17 04 Oct 2017

Have you tried one of the baby sterilising tablets/liquids? These are ideal for removing stains from cups etc and also from a composite Franke sink we had.

bumpkin 21:20 04 Oct 2017

Have you considered a decent water softener, not to clean the sink but to reduce the effects of hard water in general.

Quickbeam 19:26 05 Oct 2017

A friend that has the same problem is using silicone spray that plumbers use to make the threads on plastic plumbing and rub it in with a paper towel and claims that it's good for a month at a time.

I'll get some at the weekend to try.

bumpkin 21:23 05 Oct 2017

Worth a try, never used it on a resin sink but very handy for all sorts of things. About £6 a can the last time I bought some.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires