Civil Liberties; a step too far

anchor 09:27 06 Aug 2007

I read that there is a proposal to take DNA and fingerprints from persons who commit the most minor of misdemeanours, (even allowing you dog to foul the footpath).

The police and the CPS argue that, just because a person initially commits a low-level misdemeanour such as dog fouling, it does not mean they will not progress to the gravest crimes.

click here

click here

johndrew 09:43 06 Aug 2007

`.. just because a person initially commits a low-level misdemeanour such as dog fouling, it does not mean they will not progress to the gravest crimes.`

I would argue that there is nothing that means they will either. In the same way that someone who has a perfectly `clean` record may commit a major crime at the first instance. The other argument is that highly competent criminals have less chance of being detected.

The police will always want more information on everyone and everything; it is in the nature of their work. They argue it makes their job easier and the innocent have no need to worry. Unfortunately this is also the same argument used in Police States.

It used to be that anyone arrested and charged was fingerprinted but then if found `not guilty` these records were destroyed. We now appear to be going for identity card details by the back door. I am far from certain about identity cards being of great value but I have concerns about the information being held; or at least its secure retention and the uses to which it could be put. Similarly records held by the C.R.O. indicate a criminal intent even where total innocence has been demonstrated.

Quickbeam 09:59 06 Aug 2007

We seem to be going down the 'you will be guilty of something or another, sooner or later' route.

Why not them give everyone a standard period of 5 years imprisonment, at your own convenience, to cover any future misdemeanors?

This would save the Police the trouble of doing any crime detection at all as we will all have done the required average jail term...

Cymro. 10:33 06 Aug 2007

I expect that most people will be very much against the idea of taking DNA samples and fingerprints under such circumstances.

I must admit I am rather one of those who would have said "the innocent have nothing to worry about" but even I think that this proposal is one step too far.

If we are really against this proposal and want it to stay just a proposal then we had better start to think now of ways to protest against it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:23 06 Aug 2007

Anything to reduce the amount of time spent chasing crims gets my vote even if it upsets the whining liberals. If I had my own way DNA would be registered at birth.

G

oresome 11:28 06 Aug 2007

I'm with GANDALF <|:-)> on this one.

I don't see that I have anything to fear and can only benefit from improved crime detection.

Pine Man 11:35 06 Aug 2007

I'm fully behind DNA being taken.

If DNA was taken from everybody at birth the resulting database would be of immense value to the police in solving crime.

How can this possibly concern anybody who is honest?

In addition to helping catch people who have commited crime it will also help prevent people who HAVE NOT committed crime being wrongly convicted so how can that infringe our civil liberties?

Cymro. 11:40 06 Aug 2007

All that`s as may be, but I don`t see any government ever able to get such legislation through parliament even if they wanted to.

Pine Man 11:46 06 Aug 2007

There is no suggestion whatsoever about fingerprints being taken - merely a DNA swab.

The taking of a swab is no problem at all. I have had it done and it takes seconds.

Pine Man 11:48 06 Aug 2007

I think you are probably correct but, if you are prepared to say so, what is your real objection?

ventanas 11:50 06 Aug 2007

I'm with GANDALF <|:-)> on this as well. Don't forget that as well as helping to find out the guilty, it will also eliminate the innocent.

In my view, if you've done nothing, you have nothing to worry about. The whiners can shout as much as they like. I for one am sick of hearing about civil liberties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?