Citizen's arrests...

Quickbeam 08:42 25 Jun 2008

Are they now illegal or what...?

click here In this day and age I would have thought that the act of making a citizen's arrest would be accepted as a great help rather than the alternative of thugs going on the run and having to be tracked down by detection.

Is it not possible for one of these alarmingly regular cases that have the arresting citizen in court, to become a way of setting a precedent in favour of common sense?

This kind of reaction from the police just encourages the justice of a brutal vigilante beating at a later date.

ronalddonald 08:46 25 Jun 2008

goes to show the Police are becoming more unreliable. This same thing happened here in Harrow except the the victim was scarred to come out as drug dealers smashed his windows in. The victim was someone innocent he rang the police but the operator said this wasnt a emergency incident? The Police im sad to say are not catching those reponsible.

Monoux 08:49 25 Jun 2008

Quickbeam-- re the report in your link -- its the usual story when the good guy needs the plod -- no one available -- when the bad guy needs them -- turn up straight away and then go for the good guy..

johndrew 09:40 25 Jun 2008

Much of what is happening today appears to be down to Government targets and European law. The targets placed on the Police is causing them to go for `numbers` which means they will always go for the easy option target as the hard option (doing the job properly) will take time and reduced their throughput. Added to this the `human rights` issues caused by European law, which has been adopted by Westminster on our behalf, makes it more difficult for upstanding citizens to support society in the manner they once were able.

As was said recently in a TV documentary, the law is there to support criminality more so than those offended against.

interzone55 12:12 25 Jun 2008

I feel you are correct there

Very often the media decide to leave out certain facts to make their story fit a certain agenda.

The Telegraph seems to be doing this more often, and they are now more of a broadsheet Daily Mail. I have no idea why they have gone in this direction, because it used to be a fantastic newspaper.

Cymro. 13:22 25 Jun 2008

This citizens arrest business was always a bit of a legal minefield and very dangerous ground for the innocent citizen who was rightly trying to help his local community, the police and himself in catching the villain.

Government and parliament are for ever claiming that they don`t have enough time to get legislation through but here is something that need clarification and change ASAP.

I am also very disappointed that the police seem so reluctant to press the politicians to sort this matter out as it is a situation that does the police image no good whatsoever.

They are forever complaining that they don`t get enough public support but what do they expect with stories like this one.

I remember a time when the police would praise a member of the public for "having a go" as they would call it but having a go is a very risky business these days. It looks as if it is not just the villain that we have to watch but the police as well.

Colin 13:36 25 Jun 2008

Whether the article's been "trimmed" or not, the point is still the same: get involved and pay the price with no support from the authorities. It's no wonder the behaviour of people in public is so bad. Nowadays, I rarely go to the cinema and if I do it's in the afternoon during the week when the school’s are not on holiday. Otherwise, it's like a mad house with kids and even adults, who at least should know better, behaving like they belong in a zoo.

lofty29 14:25 25 Jun 2008

Certainly the police have lost much of the law-abiding public's respect and support. It is much easier for them to tackle a law-abiding citizen, than a group of yobs, I agree that targets and human rights laws, or rather the way in which they are interpretted and enforced, in the Uk are partly to blame, however the bottom line is the way in which the chief constables organise their forces sways the way in which those forces act. The principle is that the police are SUPPOSED to be non-political, and independant of government, that situation should be returned to. If a law is bad, or poorly drafted, or unworkable then it is the job of mp's to put that right, not the judiciary, or the police, one of the problems quite often is the police are working with one hand tied behind their backs due to political interference, from many different sources.

interzone55 14:30 25 Jun 2008

I don't know which cinema you go to, but I've not seen behaviour like you describe for about 20 years.

I regularly go to three different cinemas in Rochdale, Manchester and the Trafford Centre (chav central) and I never see bad behaviour in the auditoria

Chegs ®™ 14:55 25 Jun 2008

Anyone watch the BBC prog about PCSOs? Apparently,they do not possess the powers of arrest and must leave it to a trained policeman if there's one on hand.They can however use citizens arrest legislation if no police are on hand.

I have also been warned by the police several times that issuing threats towards the yobs that were hurling missiles at my car/house would likely land me in court if I so much as laid a hand on them.I asked why I would be prosecuted for taking action as these yobs were clearly breaking the law,why not prosecute them instead and was told that unless witnessed,the police couldnt act,but an assault allegation would have the groups evidence as witnesses.Mob rule,enforced by the police :(

Monoux 17:05 25 Jun 2008

Chegs ®™ - your last sentence sums it all up very neatly

I expect there will be some who have already posted on this thread who will blame it on which newspaper you read and say its just a perception but if it wasn't happenning daily in the real world it couldn't be perceived could it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?