Christmas Shopping

season8 10:07 18 Nov 2006

Well normally it is left to the last moment, but this year i decided to do it early, 5 weeks early! And in record time as well!

I normally have to work over Christmas & sometimes go abroad at short notice so it's easier to get it out the way. I normally also send flowers or a nice hamper as well to my family and in the past have even bought myself one whilst sitting in a crap hotel overseas at Christmas!.

lisa02 10:14 18 Nov 2006

We started a couple of weeks ago and stuck to a budget. We are on track to have finished buying in another couple of weeks. This will ease of the last minute pressure and give us a bit more disposable income in the run up to Xmas day.

Wait til you hear the stick I get for buying most of my gifts from work. Why not, I get discount on top of the advertised promotions!

€dstowe 10:34 18 Nov 2006

Hope you're not expecting your hampers to be from Farepak.

In another thread I wrote that in our family we have our Christmas "celebrations" of present exchanging after the official date when we've all been able to get to the January sales and/or buy remaindered Christmas stock at greatly reduced prices.

OK, that might be considered Scrooge-like but we've done it the same way for as long as I can remember and you do get more for your money.

season8 12:41 18 Nov 2006

No, the hamper's are from Waitrose or if a friend is still working @ Harrods then it will be one of theirs.

Must admit on a 18 hour shift over Christmas when it's quiet a hamper is so much better than canteen food & vending machine coffee!

ulrich 18:08 18 Nov 2006

I have a bottle of Port and a T/Co Finest Christmas Pudding, which will probably be 1/2 price next week.

Brumas 18:37 18 Nov 2006

I hate shopping at the best of times, as far as Christmas shopping is concerned I'd rather go to the dentist!
No, I am not a Scrooge - I love Christmas and all that it brings, but shopping, yeuck!!
I know I know, having a good Christmas means lots and lots of nice things and they need to be bought,but spare me the shopping experience.

ed-0 19:23 18 Nov 2006

We have accomplished about 75% of our Christmas shopping. So well on target.

What has surprised me this year is that we have got a good half of it from the internet. The one thing we have never used and shall be doing just for Christmas is to use a supermarket delivery service.

My wife has had the order in with sainsburys for quite awhile now. Just got crossed fingers it turns up on time.

bluto1 19:52 18 Nov 2006

We`ve just got the Turkey to buy. My wife buys presents all year long, but next week I`ve got to help make a few dozen Christmas Puddings for the family. She`s supplied them for umpteen years. Happy days!!

season8 21:55 18 Nov 2006

My Mother makes the Christmas puddings in October each year and if i'm near by i have to have a stir of the mix! But they are very good if not great for the diet.

The Brigadier 21:59 18 Nov 2006

I leave it right down to the last hour before the shop's close and often get great bargins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017