Chip and Pin (rant)

Covergirl 12:43 11 Dec 2009

After 5 years with chip & pin, I'm still getting the girls and boys at the till telling me "you can put your pin in now and press the green button, please" (Yes, I know, it tells me that on the screen!) and "You can take your card now, thank you" (Yes, I've already read the message on the screen and I was just reaching for it).

Thanks, glad you told me or I'd still be stood here wondering what to do next. Tccchhh !

canarieslover 13:06 11 Dec 2009

You can pack your shopping in the bag and go home now.

babybell 13:18 11 Dec 2009

"Would you like a hand with your packing?"

Please, I hate doing this bit, i'll just watch instead and read my Radio Times.

wee eddie 13:33 11 Dec 2009

Were you Visually Handicapped, these Verbal Instruction would be invaluable.

Bingalau 14:14 11 Dec 2009

I agree with wee eddie, but if your rant makes you feel better, then that is a good thing too. You can't beat getting things off your chest. I like a good rant myself now and again, but find it is better done in private. That way you upset no one.

Covergirl 14:25 11 Dec 2009

No thanks - I'd prefer to pack stuff neatly rather than your staff chuck it into a carrier bag for me, thanks.

By the way, now you have seen me pack my shopping, do you still think I might be visually impaired?

wee eddie - point taken :-)

Covergirl 14:28 11 Dec 2009

No thanks, I'd rather not have the local ATC / Cubs / Scouts / Brownies / Boys Brigade / TA do it for me either because I don't carry cash therefore I can't pay them - sorry, I mean, I can't give them a donation.

red1977 14:43 11 Dec 2009

I agree with your sentiments but easy on the poor ATC/cubs etc etc. In my experience they will pack even if you can't donate.

Clapton is God 16:09 11 Dec 2009

And I doubt very much that the TA would be available to help because, like the other Reserve services, many of them are currently deployed in Afghanistan.

spuds 16:24 11 Dec 2009

I recall a few months ago at our local chemist, and noticing a credit/debit card still in the pin machine. Pointing this out to the staff, I was informed "This happens all the time, that is why we try to remember to tell people to remove their cards after using it".

I asked as to what happened to the abandoned cards. "Some people return and others do not bother. If the person is a regular who we know, we will return it to them. The others, we try to notify the card company".

PalaeoBill 17:47 11 Dec 2009

On the epos systems that I have worked on the message comes up on the checkout screen that your girl or boy is looking at, they are not looking at your chip & pin machine as they are trained not to (so you don't feel like your being watched when you key in your pin).
The 'girls and boys' tend to work from a script that they are taught, they have to say the things that annoy you. Its the store and its training programme at fault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?