Childrens bonds/investments. Where's good to look?

Picklefactory 16:42 28 Mar 2009

Hello folks
I have a long term endowment as an investment for my son when he's 21. Currently with Phoenix (Britannic originally) and they are hopeless. I'm mid row currently, as they made error and cancelled direct debits, but even after investigation, they have admitted error, are paying token compensation, but STILL have got details totally mixed up, hence I've lost all faith in their ability to manage my money and intend to cash in what is there and move it elsewhere.
So, I already have some NS & I bonds for him, but can anyone recommend anywhere else that may be worth considering?
I understand that nobody here is qualified to give financial advice, just looking for avenues to explore further?
Any thoughts?

Forum Editor 18:48 28 Mar 2009

some of the methods of investing for when he goes to university. It can be an expensive time, and some careful planning now could save him from leaving university with a degree and a huge loan debt.

Maybe it would be an idea to talk to an Independent Financial Adviser?

Picklefactory 09:33 29 Mar 2009

I was giving that some thought, but at 12, I'm not sure I should assume he will go to uni at this point, he is doing well at school, and seems to handle academic work well, but whether he goes in that direction later, time will tell, so I'd probably be safer hedging bets and looking for something versatile that could be used in various scenarios.

Forum Editor 09:56 29 Mar 2009

but I would almost be prepared to bet that he'll want to go to university later. There will be increasing government pressure to improve the proportion of school-leavers going on to higher education. When I last looked some 44% of all school leavers attended university, but we are still well down the league table, compared to other countries - Australia, the Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Korea, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia and Sweden are all ahead of us in that respect.

Future UK governments will want to improve our performance, and if your son stays on into the sixth form the university attendance figure may be nudging 50% of school leavers.

Most of the schemes that suit investing for university expenses will also be suitable for other purposes - your financial adviser would be able to give you more detail.

Picklefactory 11:01 29 Mar 2009

I'll check it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?