Cheshunt Compound or the lack of it, ... for growing flower & veg seeds.

Aitchbee 20:51 04 Jan 2014
Answered

This product is now not available at garden centres and the like, 'cos it has been deemed unsafe because of it's high copper content [it's good for preventing mould and rotten stems when starting off little seeds in propagators].Are there any simple alternative solutions to healthy window-sill seed maintenance ... apart from not overwatering and providing fresh air for the tiddlers?

rdave13 21:15 04 Jan 2014
Answer

I've found this but I'm no gardener.

Aitchbee 21:57 04 Jan 2014

Thanks, rdave13. I will investigate.

Many thousands of propagators like myself [the common people who would like grow plants from seeds] will appreciate that.

Aitchbee 22:08 04 Jan 2014

please insert 'to' between like and grow 'cos I am stupid folks.

rdave13 22:12 04 Jan 2014

Aitchbee you're not stupid it's just a typo/typing mistake and I am king in that department :(

Aitchbee 22:17 04 Jan 2014

rdave13 ... I bow to your omnipetance [pardon the spellin'] :o]

Aitchbee 22:30 04 Jan 2014

rdave13 ... I may be 'out of touch' with things GREEN 'cos I haven't been watchin' Gardener's World [usually on friday nights on the BBC"] ... 'cos I've got better things to do with my time ... like tryin' to propagate seeds.

spuds 16:36 05 Jan 2014

HB - Apparently Cheshunt Compound was a Bayer product, and they seem to suggest that their 'Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control' might be an alternative (based on a copper oxi-chloride compound).

Other suggestions(?) Bordeaux Mixture ( copper sulphate powder with hydrated lime) or Cheshunt Compound (copper sulphate powder with ammonium carbonate).

I am not at all green fingered,so whether the above is correct I would not know, but checking on the Grow Fruit and Veg website came up with the above. click here

bumpkin 18:08 05 Jan 2014

You could make some up I suppose Copper sulphate and Ammonium Carbonate (Or bicarbonate)Ratio appx 1:5. Both easy to get on line.

QuizMan 22:49 05 Jan 2014

Aitchbee Good housekeeping is the best control. And you have already highlighted that poor air circulation and over-watering are a disaster waiting to happen. I agree with rdave13's recommendation @ 9:15PM if you need chemical control.

Personally, I prefer to go without, but there again, I do not have a problem with damping off in my greenhouse - automatic vents see to that.

Aitchbee 14:58 06 Jan 2014

Thanks for all of your replies. I bought a packet of Bayer Garden's Fruit & Veg Disease Control [as recommended by rdave13] from my local Homebase this morning. It cost £6.49 and the contents of the packet - it's about the same size as a cuppa-soup pack - consist of 6 small sachets each containing 4.75g of the fungicide ... that's about a teaspoonful, I reckon.

According to the instructions, the dosage [ for 'damping off and footrot' in seedlings ] is 3 litres of water to 1 sachet of the fungicide. The only snag is that the solution must be used immediately. As I will only require about 0.5 litre of the solution at each watering, I will have to divide up the 4.75g of powder in each sachet into 6 equal amounts of 0.8g ... what a bummer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone