cheques received after probate granted

jay.p 21:14 29 Oct 2008

my mum and sister have received a few cheques (refunds from bills etc.) worth about £150.00, my nan died several months ago and the probate has been granted and everything is finished and completed, so all her accounts are closed completly. the cheques are made out to "the executors", but they don't know what to do with them as all her bank accounts are all closed, so they don't know how to cash them, has anyone else ever come across this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:19 29 Oct 2008

The cheques can be paid into the account(s) of the executors. They will have to take their grant of probate form to the bank. They can then distribute the proceeds to the people mentioned in the will but they also might like to donate the £150 to charity with the blessing of the benficiaries..saves a lot of messing about and endless discussions about precentages.

G

Condom 21:20 29 Oct 2008

That happened to me some years ago when my mum died. Fortunately most already had my name on them but for the other's I wrote to the Companies concerned, explaining the situation, with proof that I was the executor, and they re-issued new cheques.

Forum Editor 22:55 29 Oct 2008

is an excellent way of dealing with this surprisingly common situation.

BT 08:21 30 Oct 2008

I agree.

anchor 10:22 30 Oct 2008

Yes, a charitable donation might be a good idea.

However, in these expensive times perhaps £150 could be a significant sum to the two ladies, and help with the fuel bills.

tillybaby 16:08 30 Oct 2008

When this same situation happened to me I was able to open an executors account but the bank person did say that it was quite unusual and many banks weren't willing to do such an account,

Reading some of the posts above I'm now wondering why the cheques weren't paid directly into my account as I was the sole executor.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:38 30 Oct 2008

I have dealt with probate rather than pony up £1500 + 2% to a solicitor) and been executor for 8 wills now with only minor help needed from solicitors. It is very easy to complete probate in the majority of cases and you can be a beneficiary as well. The Probate Office actually fall over themselves to help you if you ever phone them.
Anyhow, all monies were paid into my current account although you used to be able to set up a separate account. I keep an Excel spreadsheet to keep a track of money from creditors and bank accounts and you are allowed to deduct REASONABLE expenses which can be arranged with the beneficiaries beforehand.
The only monies that I did not put into my account was monies from the sales of houses which I always keep in a solicitor's holding account and then issue a letter of financial allocation to the solicitor. it can be remarkably easy.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:39 30 Oct 2008

I have dealt with probate rather than pony up £1500 + 2% to a solicitor) and been executor for 8 wills now with only minor help needed from solicitors. It is very easy to complete probate in the majority of cases and you can be a beneficiary as well. The Probate Office actually fall over themselves to help you if you ever phone them.
Anyhow, all monies were paid into my current account although you used to be able to set up a separate account. I keep an Excel spreadsheet to keep a track of money from creditors and bank accounts and you are allowed to deduct REASONABLE expenses which can be arranged with the beneficiaries beforehand.
The only monies that I did not put into my account was monies from the sales of houses which I always keep in a solicitor's holding account and then issue a letter of financial allocation to the solicitor. it can be remarkably easy.

G

jay.p 20:57 31 Oct 2008

thanks for all the answers, i will pass the info onto my mum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie