'Chemical Ali' executed in Iraq

Seth Haniel 14:30 25 Jan 2010

click here

Ali Hassan al-Majid, a former Iraqi official known as Chemical Ali, has been executed by hanging, a government spokesman has announced.

Quickbeam 14:33 25 Jan 2010

Were there any mourners...?

birdface 14:39 25 Jan 2010

probably guilty as charged,
But as we declared war with them Illegal'y would he still be a free man today if that had not happened.

Quickbeam 14:41 25 Jan 2010

"as we declared war with them Illegal'y"
Is the jury still not out on that?

canarieslover 14:46 25 Jan 2010

They sentenced him to death four times but could only hang him once. That's three hangings he's got out of that he seemed to deserve so I think he got away with it lightly.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:55 25 Jan 2010

Had Saddam Hussain's regime not been removed from power, how many more Kurds would have been killed? Which section of the Iraqi population would have been chosen to be wiped-out next?

Presumably those people who bang on about the war being illegal would have been happy to let the ethnic cleansing continue unchecked.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:12 25 Jan 2010

'Presumably those people who bang on about the war being illegal would have been happy to let the ethnic cleansing continue unchecked'...it may have escaped your notice but 103,000 Iraqi civilians have died since 2003 which overshadows his death toll by some amount.

G

sunnystaines 16:47 25 Jan 2010

had blair /bush not cried wolf on Iraq, The real threat Iran might have been sorted now.

Proclaimer 17:55 25 Jan 2010

I was led to believe estimates of between 500,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqis died during Saddam's rule (1979 - 2003), perhaps that is not just Iraqi civilians but a full death count of soldiers, civilians and foreigners.

I think the only thing that is certain is that people are dying at a faster rate each year since the invasion when compared to the the yearly death rates during Saddam's rule.

Strawballs 18:25 25 Jan 2010

The difference is During Saddams rule it was the official government doing the killing now it is mainly insergents (terrorists) the government is trying to stop it.

morddwyd 20:57 25 Jan 2010

That's the point often forgotten.

Apart from a few desperate acts by the Kurds the only terrorism in Iraq in Saddam's time was state terrorism.

He was al Quaeda's sworn enemy, and would not permit them anywhere in the country.

I'm not saying he should been left to carry on killing his own countrymen, but by removing him a whole mess of other, worse, problems have resulted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?