Check Steak

interzone55 18:54 30 Oct 2011

Booths supermarkets have recently started selling Chuck Steak, very good value, so I bought some today for tea.

Never again, I might as well fried an old pair of shoes...

chub_tor 19:06 30 Oct 2011

My old mum used to buy chuck steak as it was one of the cheapest cuts around. It comes from the neck/shoulder and is quite fibrous and muscly. AS far as I know it is not usually fried as it needs to be cooked slowly in a casserole dish to help dissolve all the fibre in it. We had it in stews and hot pots.

Aitchbee 19:07 30 Oct 2011

alan14 - Thanks for the warning - I was going to roast a pair of slippers tonite, but beans on toast will be ok.

Aitchbee 19:54 30 Oct 2011

...marinading the slippers overnight...

Ventad 19:55 30 Oct 2011

As I remember it was always Diced Chuck and blade that was used in stews etc in the "Andrew" (R.N) and also in the home which made a very tasty meal when very slowly cooked

interzone55 19:56 30 Oct 2011

chub_tor

The pack said fry for 2 1/2 minutes each side - maybe they missed the bit about throwing it in the bin straight afterwards to save your teeth...

Bingalau 21:18 30 Oct 2011

Check it and chuck it...

BRYNIT 21:59 30 Oct 2011

They must have missed something unless it was very thinly cut.

A few ways to cook chuck steak

Click here Click here

Quickbeam 08:02 31 Oct 2011

Those sort of cuts are best used in a steak pie made in a slow cooker, the other recipes all use long marinades which tenderise the fibre, which amounts to the same thing. You need a decent cut to be able to grill and still have it tender to eat.

interzone55 08:32 31 Oct 2011

Quickbeam

The steak was marinaded for a couple of hours in a mixture of Lancashire Relish, mixed herbs and a Barts meat spice mix.

I'll be sticking to Rump in future

morddwyd 08:32 31 Oct 2011

"The pack said fry for 2 1/2 minutes each side"

All appliances vary, and you obviously did not use a tenderising frying pan!

Seriously, I would be wary of using any cooking methods quoted on the packet.

Last month we had a small turkey which gave a roasting time of 30 mins a lb plus 30 mins, or 6 1/2 hours.

Had we done so it would have been like eating shredded wheat without the milk!

Even if you don't have a simple cook book a quick google brings up over 1,000,000 recipes, and none of the ones I checked said fry, at least not without some form of tenderising.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?