Cheap calls to Canada

Legolas 13:49 07 Apr 2007

Hi, my friends have immigrated to Canada and I will be phoning them often. They have yet to get skype set up so does any one know of cheap calls to Canada. I have searched and I have found plenty but I have heard of people getting stung so I am looking for a recommendation. Thanks all.

Bingalau 13:54 07 Apr 2007

You can use Skype to call them on their normal phone. I ring friends in Oz. and it's about a penny a minute. 30p gives me all the talk time i want.

pj123 14:38 07 Apr 2007

Have you tried this one?

click here

Sapins 15:55 07 Apr 2007

I use click here

Very pleased with them. You buy £10 credit which is used at 3.4 pence connection charge per call for countries listed as "free" (includes Canada) which lasts for one hour, then you can re-dial for another hour and so on.

You have 120 days to use your credit and you can top it up without losing any unused credit.I haven't managed to use my credit in the 120 days yet.

anchor 16:05 07 Apr 2007

If you don`t wish to use VOIP, (which I am told can be "iffy" at times), then Telediscount, as suggested by pj123, is good for normal phone calls.

Just dial 0844 861 78 78, then the normal international number for your Canadian friends. Cost, 1p/min.

An alternative is 18185, which I use for international calls.

click here

You have to register, then the cost to Canada is 0.5p/min, plus a 4p connection charge.

Sapins 16:18 07 Apr 2007

Should have added, you dial on computer, your normal phone rings and when you answer it you are connected to the number you have indicated, you then continue the call on your house phone so you are not restricted to the computer. Mobile and text charges are cheap as well. 3.4 pence for 60 minutes is excellent value.

Legolas 19:29 07 Apr 2007

Hi all thanks for the suggestions but my friends have surprised me and bought a laptop and set up skype with webcam and shortly after I posted this thread they phoned me and I have just spent an hour chatting for free. I say surprised me because when they were here I was always sorting out things for them on their computer, just shows you what you can do when you need to. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?