Charity solution?

spikeychris 12:29 15 Mar 2008

There are hundreds of charity events held each week in the UK, all asking for well deserved money, sport and comic relief, children in need as well as cancer charities to name but a few. It’s impossible to deduce which is the more needy and with this in mind would you be prepared to have £5 automatically taken out of your wage each month that goes to a central pot? With nearly 30 million employed people in the UK that would equate to 150 million pounds a month, £1800000000 a year.

There would be people who couldn’t afford the fiver but at just over a pound a week I think most could. The central hub receiving the money would not be allowed to invest in anything but charity organisations, a tick in a box on your wage slip or consent form would be your only concern. This would be a massive undertaking with infrastructure needed but certainly doable.

Yes or no?

Taff™ 12:54 15 Mar 2008

I already donate that every week to the National Lottery! I don`t necessarily agree with how they spend the proceeds though.

Seriously though I much prefer some direct control on my charity donations. The local school sponsored walk, Beacon Centre for the Blind (Wolverhampton), the local pub charity, Air Ambulance (Worcestershire), the local hospices etc. I know people who are involved personally and often give their own time freely so I prefer to reward their fund raising work.

The answer to your question is therefore No.

Quickbeam 12:59 15 Mar 2008

But it would soon lose credibilty when the administrators decide they should be paid 'industry standard' pay rates... :(

robgf 13:41 15 Mar 2008

I never give to any charities that want you to set up a direct debit, or use call centers to try and secure a donation. As these are obviously run as big businesses, so most of the donations must get swallowed up by costs.

My parents used to live next door to a chap who was fairly high up, in a school charity and he earned a very good wage and got a new top of the line car, every year.

I prefer to give to local charities run by volunteers, where no one is skimming off the cream. Plus, I get to see the results of my donation occasionally.

Clapton is God 13:49 15 Mar 2008

"would you be prepared to have £5 automatically taken out of your wage each month that goes to a central pot?"

In fact the infrastructure is already in place click here

Jak_1 14:37 15 Mar 2008

In short, no. I give to the charities of my choice, not someone elses.

Belatucadrus 14:49 15 Mar 2008

No, there are some registered charities that I simply don't wish to support. All my donations go to the Sally Army, Air Ambulance or on occasions Disaster relief.
At least that way I know I'm donating something to somebody that will appreciate it and use it well.

recap 16:20 15 Mar 2008

Nice idea in principal spikeychris. I work for a charity in Rural East Cleveland (Tees Valley) and it is hard at the moment to get funding from any funding body. I do not think this would work as existing funders all have their own criteria for supporting charities.

The criteria is wide and varied from working with children, the elderly, the disadvantage, areas of deprivation, both long term and short term unemployed and refugees. Then there are the religious funding streams, ethnic minority the list goes on and on. There are also funders that only give funding in certain areas.

Some charities will not ask for funding from certain funding bodies because it would be a conflict of interest in their Memorandum and Articles of Association.

To have one central body dealing with all the different criteria would lead to a range of conflicts of interest.

"industry standard' pay rates" I wish, people who work for a charity you will find wear a number of different hats. I myself have a variety of roles from centre manager, ICT manager, ICT tutor, health and safety officer, fire warden, finance officer, admin officer and last but not least I apply for funding. If I were to be working in industry then I would expect those high pay rises. As I work for a charity I understand that it is hard to find funding for those types of salaries and accept what I am paid. After all it is a registered charity. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the work I do as it is so varied, not one day the same.

interzone55 17:12 15 Mar 2008

I only give by direct debit, this way I know that my choice of charity is getting the money directly, and because I filled in a gift aid form they also get the tax back, giving them about 25% extra.

I don't give to people who come to the door, or ask on the street because you never know whether the charity will ever receive the money.

spikeychris 17:14 15 Mar 2008

This is part of a project and the most common response I receive is the need to control which charity is helped. From experience this is from people who already give, this solution could bring in the millions of people who don’t.

lisa02 17:18 15 Mar 2008

Those annoying overly cheerful people carrying clipboards, that stop you on the high street, are paid quite well for the job.

£6.50 odd an hour if I remember rightly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017