charity donations

karmgord 16:01 10 Jan 2010

I give directly to my local hospice,yet I see good causes on TV,but I won't give a donation because once you do they keep on requesting further donations and even worse pass on you details to other charities who in turn mail you It's a shame as I'm sure a one off donation of whatever amount is better than none.

Forum Editor 16:06 10 Jan 2010

via the phone - you can always send the charity a cheque anonymously, or make a transfer via an online banking system. Nobody will have your personal details, so you'll not be pestered.

Hercule Marple 16:27 10 Jan 2010

I just put tins of food for the cat and dog shelters in the bins supplied in my local supermarket. Occasionally I buy it wholesale and deliver it to the local dog shelter myself. No comeback or begging letters that way.

mr simon 16:42 10 Jan 2010

Could not agree more. I once donated to a cancer charity and since then have had letter after letter and multiple phonecalls, as I withdrew the standing order I had with them. Its ridiculous.

ella33 18:47 10 Jan 2010

Of course most charities can claim tax back of a taxpayer, (I forget the current rate) so if you become a regular donor, they get more than with one off donations where you may not have filled in a form. It is best to decide which is your charity and tell the others that you already donate to another one! Sounds cruel but at least you are in control of what you give and who to and the others will stop pestering after that.

karmgord 18:59 10 Jan 2010

I agree about the tax benefit,It's sad that because they have professional income raisers that pester contributors, they will lose out on the occasional £10 from me.

peter99co 20:02 10 Jan 2010

I support my local Sally Shop (Salvation Army) with purchases and donations of items I no longer use. Very friendly staff in the shop and we take lots of items to them which they sell or pass on.

We buy all sorts of odd things which sometimes go to Bring and Buy sales so others can benefit from their subsequent sale.

Paddylad 22:29 10 Jan 2010

I agree with your views on this matter, because when I accidentally cancelled a Standing Order to pay £2.00 a month to a cancer charity I was inundated with phonecalls requiring reinstatement of the S.O and in view of the monies "lost" would I kindly increase my donation. I hung the phone up then and a few more times when they called again and will continue to do so. I found a few deserving charities in my own village who now get a cheque regularly.

Awshum 02:10 11 Jan 2010

The 4 that annoy me:

1. Those that come to your workplace to take deductions from wages.

2. Those people in the High Street with fake smiles trying to lure in unsuspecting people.

3. Bag packers. I usually throw money in but ask them not to touch my shopping.

4. TV Adverts that ask for so much per month. State your cause and ask for what the viewer can afford! even a one of donation of a few quid.

I would never set up a DD or formal agreement to donate to a charity on a regular basis. I give to collections, donate stuff, buy raffle tickets that never win (even if they did I'd redonate the prize) and so on.

OTT_Buzzard 02:44 11 Jan 2010

Charities are a bit of an oddball scenario to me in many respects.
The broad ranging areas that they cover, and the uses to which donations are put vary to a massive degree, to the point at which I have to stand back and ask why a lot of these charities *need* to exist.

The NSPCC is a case in point. Why would the UK need a charity that is mandated to protect vulnerable children? Is that not the responsibility of the state? That's not to say that don't do a valuable job - they clearly do, but why should they rely on public donations?

On similar lines, Cancer Research UK seems to cover work which, for the better part, has massive private sector (pharmaceutical comany) backing. The pharmaceutical companies are indirectly funded by central government through sales of drugs to the NHS.

I have a friend who runs a charity for homless children in Sierra Leone. And she does a sterling job of it. But then of course there are thousands of charities doing similar work. Unless you're insanely rich, you can't give to them all. But if you want to give something, deciding who to give to is no small task.

A few years ago my (kind of) uncle died, leaving some money to a few charities. My father was the executor of his will. Within days of my uncle dying my father was receiving letters and phone calls from the relevant charity representatives, threatening that if they did not receive their money from my uncle's estate immediately, then legal action would be taken forthwith.

Charity may begin at home, but it can surely end at home as well.

The Mountaineer 07:39 11 Jan 2010

As a founder and trustee chairman of a small charity running five schools for 700 kids in Nepal I'm appalled at some of the experiences many of you have had. I don't want to be overly defensive but just as there are good businesses and bad businesses, so there will be good and bad charities in terms of these practices, which should be stopped. In our own case we dont make phone calls, we dont chase donations, we dont pass on personal details and we dont constantly mail people who HAVE made a donation, (unless they've opted in to our newsletter). If these charities have "crossed a line with you" then you should report them to the Charity Commission.
OTT_Buzzard, you make many good points especially about why certain charities even have a need to exist and I have often questioned this myself, especially the Cancer Research charity (which should be funded quite differently) despite the fact that our son died from cancer!
Back to our own charity again, we began it because a group of mountaineers saw something they wanted to change/help with, were prepared to put in their own time and money to create it, and have since been joined by a few others who like what we do. Hopefully we are one of the "good ones".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?