Charity from the banks.

gengiscant 18:49 01 Jan 2011

We may soon be invited to donate to charity at cash machines.I wonder will the banks make a small donation to charity each time I use one of their machines?
Will perhaps our MP's pay a small percentage of their still very generous expenses to charity also?
After all we are all in this together.Aren't we?

This year is likely to be a tough year, more so for some rather than others I fear.The British have always been a generous nation,even in adversity, but some of the smaller charities near me are already feeling the pinch.I for one do not have the spare cash,with which I would donate to my favorite charities. It may have only been a few shillings now and again,but it was at least something.
It is very easy to be generous when you have plenty and I certainly do not knock those who can afford to be so,especially those who do so without the publicity that others seem to crave. But its the small donors that week in,week out give of their time and money that perhaps will find it more difficult this year to be so generous.

uk-wizard 18:58 01 Jan 2011

I am quite happy to support "my" charity and do so to a couple of hundred pounds a year, yearly donation and at odd times. I dont want anyone to tell me who and how to support. The more they ask for the less they will get from me.

ulrich 19:04 01 Jan 2011

I can hardly afford to live and keep myself. Charities are off my list.

spuds 22:10 01 Jan 2011

PayPal/eBay have been offering the option of a charity donation on payments for ages, but it would seem as though they are stopping this shortly.

Considering that the banks are always moaning about 'free banking', then this move for them is surely a charitable move on their behalf, or is it?.

jakimo 00:19 02 Jan 2011

Perhaps the wealthy would like to kick off by donating their winter fuel allowance to a charity

gengiscant 00:33 02 Jan 2011

Excuse me,but I think you will find that the wealthy bring jobs,prosperity to to us ingrates. Why should we deny them winter fuel allowances,tax credits,and all the other benefits that are available.
On the one hand you have the work-shy,who have playing the benefit system down to a fine art, and on the other hand you have automatic benefits going to people who do not need them,but take them anyway.

Forum Editor 01:30 02 Jan 2011

1. Why on earth should MPs be expected to donate money from their expenses, just because banks invite people to make small donations when using ATMs?

It would be illegal for one thing - you can't claim charitable donations back as a parliamentary expense. What a daft suggestion.

2.Why should a bank donate money each time you use an ATM? That's another daft suggestion. ATMs are there for our convenience. There's no valid reason a bank should have to donate money because you or I draw out some cash.

I advise thinking a thing through before posting knee-jerk stuff like this.

The ATM suggestion was simply an idea, a way of offering people a simple means of giving to charity if they wish to do so. Nothing more than that - and certainly nothing to start getting so excited about. if you don't want to give in this way, don't give this way - pretty simple really, isn't it?

A

Toneman 09:47 02 Jan 2011

Thought my local ATM at Tesco already donated, according to a note at the machine. Am I wrong?

spuds 10:37 02 Jan 2011

And you also have people who require that little bit more help, yet cannot get it. Every year my elderly 'average' neighbours and I use to receive a rather impressive letter from the government, stating that "a large number of people were not claiming their entitlements", and should rightly do so.

With the letter was an enclosed form, which required completing, so as to claim these stated 'unclaimed' entitlements. In all the years my neighbours and myself filled in these forms and returned then back pre-paid to the relevant body, we all had a rejection letter because we all were in a 'catch 22' situation (ie a few pence/pounds over the claiming limit?).

The government must have realised this was a non-event,possibly due to high administration costs, because the past couple of years the forms have no longer been issued.

spuds 10:49 02 Jan 2011

Perhaps off subject slightly, but nearly all the major charities in my home town are belly-aching about peoples lack of donations, and the charity shops are becoming bare for lack of stock. Some are even laying off paid staff.

In response, the public have replied to the charities concerns, and are asking why it is that charities have become very selective on what they will take, and by doing so, have refused many donations of good quality reusable items.

There is a very lucrative business in sending clothing and other items to the various Eastern Europe countries, hence the constant bags or pleading letters in the door. Some of the people running some of these charities, are doing very well out of other peoples potential kindness, and it doesn't always men that the poor or disadvantaged will benefit from this kindness?.

Toneman 15:08 02 Jan 2011

Further to my previous and FE's second point, I have checked and it appears to be Tesco themselves who make the donation. Should have realised that it wouldn't be the penny-pinching misers we laughingly call our friendly local banks, who prefer to distribute largesse among themselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?