Channel Is not longer part of NHS

sunnystaines 14:36 22 Mar 2009

click here

what about isle of man and isle wright will they be next.

Or even scots, welsh and english not covering each others NHS will that be next too.

sunnystaines 15:45 22 Mar 2009

yes but it was covered by the nhs agreements

interzone55 16:24 22 Mar 2009

If they want NHS service in the Channel Islands, perhaps they'd better start paying National Insurance...

bremner 16:48 22 Mar 2009

The Isle of Man is a non EEA country and is treated the same as the current scheme for the Channel Islands. So there is the potential for the current rules to be changed.

The Isle of Wight is part of England and does not have its own government the last time I looked.

AlanG2 17:10 22 Mar 2009

I am a Guernsey man temporarily working in the UK.

The background to the situation has complications but the simple explanation is as follows:

The Channel Islands are not and never have been part of the UK, the NHS or the EU.
There has for many years been an agreement that holidaymakers from the UK were treated without charge to them in the Islands and vice versa. In addition, the Channel Islands sent people for certain treatments to the UK without charge to the patients (the Islands are not big enough to justify having a full range of transplant and cancer treatment).
The idea was that at the end of each year the UK and each of the Bailiwicks would add up the costs that had been incurred on behalf of the other and a payment would be made to settle the difference.
Because a large proportion of the holidaymakers to the Islands are elderly and a number of holidaymakers going to places where alcohol is cheap overindulge and need treatment, the UK always owed the Islands money. Because the Islands had a good tax income, they always said 'forget the balance' and wrote it off.
The Islands have been hit by the recession just as hard (and probably more so because of the fall in interest rates) as the UK and they feel that they can no longer afford to keep writing off millions of pounds a year in this way and have told the NHS that in future they will need to be paid.
The NHS has decided that it does not have the money to pay and has decided to withdraw the free treatment to holidaymakers in the Islands.

As regards to paying National Insurance in the Islands, the Islands have their own health services and as I have pointed out above the Islands' governments were and are prepared to pay the NHS for Islanders' treatment so this is nothing to do with the matter.

sunnystaines 17:16 22 Mar 2009

An excellent reply putting everything clearly. I was not aware of the info you posted.

Thank you.

AlanG2 17:50 22 Mar 2009

You're welcome.

The media tend to only put in what they think that the people want (or need) to know and therefore half the time they do not give the reasons for things.
The result is that unless someone has personal knowledge of the situation a wrong impression can accidentally be given.

Cymro. 11:34 23 Mar 2009

Nice to have a reply to a posting by someone who actually knows something about the situation for a change.

anchor 14:41 23 Mar 2009

AlanG2: Does this mean that residents of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man will have to either pay UK doctors and/or hospitals, (or take out private insurance), when in the UK?. Obviously, EU visitors to these places would be well advised to insure themselves.

Alternatively, as you suggest, will their authorities foot the bill for their residents?.

AlanG2 16:27 23 Mar 2009

fourm member
I was being polite to the media :-)
I realise that the media do (at times and depending on their political orientation) have a habit of being selective in their wording in order to cause a stir but even though the site linked to might have a vested interest since they may receive commission if anyone links to a relevant insurance company through them, I think that they are probably acting with good intent in order to forewarn travellers of a change (at least I hope that's what their doing).

Cymro
Thank-you. I am sure that most people try to stay within the limits of their knowledge.

anchor
I have no information about the Isle of Man because their constitutional etc. relationships with the UK are not the same as the Islands. They make their own agreements with UK Departments separately from the Channel Islands all of whom tend to have the same agreements as one another. As the site does not mention the IoM, I assume that they will continue with whatever existing agreement they have.
As far as I am aware, the provision of emergency treatment will continue to be provided free of charge on both sides but quite where emergency treatment ends I do not really know. Certainly having a headache (hangover?) or something trivial will not be included.
Where an Islander is sent to the UK for treatment, the Island's authorities will foot the bill as at present because it will be a part of the needed treatment which they cannot provide.
As far as I know, residents of other EU countries have never had a right to non-emergency treatment free of charge in the Islands (the same as went for Islanders on the continent).

laurie53 19:54 23 Mar 2009

"Nice to have a reply to a posting by someone who actually knows something about the situation for a change."

The hell with that! Takes all the fun out of it!

AlanG2 - Kindly keep your opinions to yourself, unless they're as offensive and provocative as the rest of us!

(Seriously, thanks for a reasoned and factual response. I might try it myself one day!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?