Changing oil and filter on a diesel focus

VNAM75 22:25 31 May 2008

I want to change the oil and oil filter on my focus. Its a 2002 tdci. The problem is you have to first remove a plastic cover beneath the car (attached by about 6 screws) and then access to the filter is very awkward.

I've always changed the oil + filter myself on previous cars because of the satisfaction of completing what is a important job. You can choose your oil, leave it to drain fully (some garages do it too quickly). Plus a local mechanic pointed out to me that the last time it was changed (rapid fit) they cross threaded the sump.

Does anyone know if this is a diy job or do you need a garage to carry it out? I have the proper tools - trolley jack, axle stands and a filter wrench. The petrol focus is very easy to do - you don't even have to raise the car.

Forum Editor 22:38 31 May 2008
  VNAM75 23:11 31 May 2008

Thanks for the link. It doesn't answer my question but useful for reading up on other stuff.

Koochy 23:16 31 May 2008

Nothing ventured nothing gained, Are you sure there isn't a smaller flap in the large plastic cover (usually the case) If not i really don't see a problem with doing it yourself if you are carefull.
Just remember to use the axle stands as this is a common mistake and could cost you your life.
Remove the plastic cover and drain the oil then remove the old filter remembering to fit a new copper washer if the car has one fitted already (should be supplied with the oil filter) and when you fit the new filter remember to put a smear of the old oil around the rubber seal and only put it on by hand (don't use the filter wrench as this can make it difficult the next time you come to change the oil)
Just make sure you put it on by hand but do ensure it is tight, replace the plastic trim and the job is a goodun.

VNAM75 23:27 31 May 2008

I do follow all the points you mentioned. The only problem is the filter is located in a very awkward position. I'll give it a try anyway, at least I know if its possible to do, thanks.

Koochy 23:32 31 May 2008

Another trick although a little messy is if you can't get the filter wrench in just grab a big screwdriver and drive it through the filter with a hammer and use that to turn it (you should only need to turn it a small amount and then you will get it by hand) like i say it is messy but it could save you an hours labour at the local garage.

rdave13 01:48 01 Jun 2008

Do it youself oil change.
Where would you get rid of the contaminated oil?
Changing oil in a garage includes the cost of recycling.
Up to you.

WhiteTruckMan 02:06 01 Jun 2008

I have an old 25 litre plastic barrel that originally held clean engine oil which I keep at the back of my garage for storing old engine oil. When its full I simply take it to my local council tip and empty it into their waste oil tank at no charge. (yes, I know there will be a miniscule charge on my council tax, but you know what I mean).

WTM

rdave13 02:19 01 Jun 2008

That's fair enough. How many do that though?
I really don't mind paying a miniscule extra on my council tax to help you out even though I pay extra at the garage for recyclng the oil.
Obviously your needs are greater than mine.

WhiteTruckMan 02:36 01 Jun 2008

Probably not too different needs. I only actually empty the barrel every couple of years. Its just convenient, and I'm too honest to pour it down the drain yet too lazy to take it to the tip every time I do an oil change.

WTM

rdave13 02:43 01 Jun 2008

OK...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?