Change your MB, buy new Windows XP OS?

Rigga 12:43 17 Feb 2006

> click here

R.

sidecar sid 13:16 17 Feb 2006

I predict an alarming rise in motherboard failures.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:28 17 Feb 2006

I predict the imminent failure of mine, well in around 21 months.

g0nvs 17:00 17 Feb 2006

This will drive more people to the Car Boot sales where a XP copy can be had for a Fiver.

ade.h 18:20 17 Feb 2006

It has always been so, as the article points out. Seems fair to me.

SG Atlantis® 18:26 17 Feb 2006

I was given a pirate copy windows XP pro N that is cracked... No need for a reg key and no need to activate.

The disk is heading for the bin.

Well if it's just the motherboard I'm happy with that scenario. So it's a new motherboard on it's own that denotes a new computer, maybe the new OS won't prompt at every system change for re-activation like XP does.

Djohn 22:29 18 Feb 2006

I wouldn't worry about it. Its always been the case that if you change your motherboard or substantial other parts that amount to a new machine then you need a new licence but as long as you have removed your OEM copy from your PC then it will install and activate over the net. Microsoft are quite rightly jumping on people that frequently break the rules but often are lenient when it comes to something like this especially when its a genuine issue.

gudgulf 23:10 18 Feb 2006

I think Djohn is absolutely correct.............But perhaps Microsoft could make life simpler for everyone by significantly narrowing the gap between a single copy OEM and retail version of Windows.

I for one wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a transferable copy of Windows....but at around three times the cost????

I'll be sticking with the leniency of Microsoft for the time being.......and they do understand the needs of the home builder/upgrader.What they don't want is the mass manufacturer licenses being transferred onto what are essentially new PCs with no connection to the original manufacturer!

Djohn 00:58 19 Feb 2006

As a side issue but relating to this, I recently found out that if you have for instance a 98se OEM version of windows and then buy a retail version XP SP2 upgrade, the upgrade takes precedence over the OEM copy and turns it into a retail version.

So when you buy a new machine or do a major upgrade and install XP from your retail upgrade version, the OEM 98se qualifying disk is still legal to use. This applies to all upgrade versions of Microsofts operating systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?