Chancellor urged to decriminalise ipod users

octal 07:10 29 Oct 2006

I didn't realise our copyright laws were 300 years old! But it looks like there is a push to update them.

click here

Will the music industry like it? I doubt it, but it does say "But it is not the music industry’s job to decide what rights consumers have. That is the job of Government." But will big money persuaded otherwise, rather than peoples rights I wonder.

Forum Editor 08:31 29 Oct 2006

Well, this aspect of them at any rate, and commonsense tells us that this reform should be carried through at the earliest opportunity.

Most people who use a computer can make private copies of CDs, and as the survey demonstrates - half of us do it.

egapup 10:36 29 Oct 2006

Been hearing this since the day of the tape recorder....boring.

Jak_1 12:16 29 Oct 2006

Sensible. As egapup states peeps have been doing this since the days of the tape recorder. The music industry isn't going to lose much as most peeps buy their cd's/films and then copy to the pc for personal use. I always buy shop sold cd's/films as that way I am assured of the quality unlike dodgy copies from the pub etc. Yes there will be a certain amount of borrowing from a friend to copy but again that is usually a one off copy and not for capital gain.

dogbreath1 20:31 30 Oct 2006

Apologies for starting another thread regarding the BBC's reporting of the IPPR findings.

I'd simply not seen this thread.

octal 20:51 30 Oct 2006

Apologies not needed, I think we've all done it.

It is an interesting read though. I've got nearly all my CD's on the computer so I can listen to them while I'm doing other things. I hope we will be allowed to do this legally so I won't live in fear of being locked up and forgotten about, although some say that's what should happen to me, but that's another story :-)

josie mayhem 21:13 30 Oct 2006

It's about time copyright laws were brought into with new technology...

It's common practice and shouldn't harm the copyrighter...

But I do think that they should also bring in tougher laws against the pirater.

As I've seen some real good copies, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from the real thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?