Champions League football

Si_L 22:23 06 May 2009

What an exciting couple of days! First Man Utd thump Arsenal (sorry FE) in the first game 4-1 aggregate, with a twist to the story in that Fletcher was sent off for a brilliant challenge on Fabregas, (meaning he will miss the final), and then Barcelona knick a 93rd minute goal to draw with Chelsea and go through on away goals rule!

I must add that despite my dislike of Chelsea, they deserved this one. The ref didn't want to give a single decision their way, and Barca had just a single shot on target the whole night.

Any thoughts on either of the matches?

Forum Editor 23:42 06 May 2009

Thanks for the reminder, I was just beginning to recover from the shock. I'm not one of those football fans who go into deep depression whenever their team loses - it's just a game after all, and there's always next season.

I watched tonight's game as well, and it reinforced what most football fans have to accept - that the game is full of surprises. The Barcelona/Manchester United final should be something worth watching.

Rigga 00:14 07 May 2009

It's a strange old game.. Barcelona were by far the better footballing team over the two legs, but I feel Chelsea should have won it on clear chances created.

And sorry FE, but Arsenal were poor, they just didn't seem to have the bottle or skill on the night to match Man Utd.

Still, what a mouth watering final in prospect, hopefully it will deliver in football terms, as well as "Hollywood" terms.

I for one will be watching.

R.

Stuartli 00:39 07 May 2009

True, but they were only as good as Manchester United (and I'm no United fan) allowed them to be.

Having the stuffing knocked out of you in the first 11 minutes in such fashion would probably have demoralised any football team, no matter how good, especially as away goals count double if the scores are level.

Even getting to that stage would have been an Arsenal miracle.

Forum Editor 00:57 07 May 2009

is rather stating the obvious, and there's no need to apologise, as I've already said I'm not one of those obsessive football fans who can't bear the thought of their team being beaten - it's a game, not the be all and end all of life.

There's always another season, and hope springs eternal.

Si_L 01:12 07 May 2009

I think it was more a case of Man Utd being outstanding, (and Gibbs being poor!) on the night.

As for the final, I'd rather see a Utd/Chelsea clash rather than Barca. Last years semi's between Utd and Barca weren't that exciting, barring a brilliant Schole's goal and a Ronaldo penalty miss. The final was incredibly tense and there was some great football, and a re-run of that would have been something special.

red1977 09:55 07 May 2009

As a united fan, I dont think Gibbs was poor. He slipped thats all. It affected his confidence but I dont recall him doing anything else badly.

Stuartli 10:30 07 May 2009

Just as some other top class players did on a number of occasions on that now infamous Wembley pitch during the two recent FA Cup semi-finals.

Si_L 11:01 07 May 2009

They weren't playing at Wembley, they were playing at the Emirates. The Gibbs jab was just a joke, I rate him as a player, football is just an unforgiving sport.

simonjary 11:40 07 May 2009

Rigga "Barcelona were by far the better footballing team over the two legs..."

I disagree. Chelsea controlled them (just) in the first leg, stopping their one-strategy football. And despite having only 30% possession made far more chances - and indeed would have won the game quite easily if UEFA had bothered to employ competent officials.

Barcelona flatter themselves to deceive, and were quite average on the night. United will flatten them if they both teams play like they did in the away legs.

Stuartli 11:47 07 May 2009

>>They weren't playing at Wembley, they were playing at the Emirates.>>

I know that perfectly well.

Perhaps you should read my comment again about players slipping on the Wembley pitch.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?