Challenge Power Tools (Planer PPLN822H)

Ex plorer 16:31 28 Jul 2014
Answered

Hi I Needed to use my plane today, the blades looked a little chipped and worse for ware.

On removing them I expected to be able to reverse the blades, not so its just a one sided blade.

My Planer is a Challenge PPLN822H and no where can I find a spare blades for it I have carefully resharpened the old one and will see how it performs tomorrow.

Did Challenge go bust, or get taken over, or are they the same company as Challenge Xtream that are still going today.

Has any one tried a blade in the Challenge Planer PPLN822H of different manufacture.

woodchip 16:36 28 Jul 2014
Answer

Anything to do with Challenge, Are looking at Throw away tools they sell them In catalogues

bumpkin 16:51 28 Jul 2014

As woodchip says, cheap DIY brand. New blades if you can find them will probably cost nearly as much as the machine. If it is something that you only rarely use then buy another cheapo unless your sharpening was successful.

bumpkin 17:00 28 Jul 2014

Tools are a very good example of getting what you pay for as I have found out over the years. Quality is not cheap but if you only want to use something a few times no point in spending a fortune on it.

Ex plorer 17:14 28 Jul 2014

Yea yer right it was cheap.

bumpkin 17:15 28 Jul 2014

I lent a drill to a neighbour once, he returned it with apologies saying he had broken it and would replace it. You should have seen his face when I told him it was £400. (I think he had something like £15 in Aldi's in mind) Just the brushes as it turned out and I had some spares.

bumpkin 17:15 28 Jul 2014

I lent a drill to a neighbour once, he returned it with apologies saying he had broken it and would replace it. You should have seen his face when I told him it was £400. (I think he had something like £15 in Aldi's in mind) Just the brushes as it turned out and I had some spares.

BT 18:01 28 Jul 2014

My Cheapo cordless drill battery gave up the will to live recently (wouldn't charge). Although a Cheapo its actually not a bad drill - 14v variable speed etc. Obviously not able to get replacement battery so decided to dismantle it and have a look. Inside 12 tabbed NiCads. Managed to find replacements at Batteries Plus which cost me about £26. Remade the battery pack and reassembled. Result one working drill. The batteries even came charged. Could probably got a replacement drill for much the same price but I like a bit of a challenge.

bumpkin 18:34 28 Jul 2014

BT, sort of daft thing I would do :-))

spuds 00:15 29 Jul 2014

You will most probably find that most planers have standard sizes, so the actual model doesn't matter. For instance a number of planer's will accept the same blade, similar to the likes of a Trend make or similar blade.

If your present original blade is 82mm long x 5.5mm wide x 1.1mm thick (which covers a large range of various makes of planer's), then look at the Amazon website under Trend sold by Arrowsmith, and you will find these blades at £4.45 plus 99p/p or try Silverline 125629 TCT planer blades at £3.59 delivered.

Ebay also have similar made planer blades starting from £3.99 delivered. Look for item 140627621744 or just keycode in blade size.

Forum Editor 07:07 29 Jul 2014

Call a company called Solent tools on 023 8057 8057

They supply all kinds of planer spares, including challenge items. If anyone has blades that will fit your planer they will.

Otherwise buy a new one for £26 at Argos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?