Challenge to DNA records 'on file'...

Quickbeam 07:29 04 Dec 2008

click here
I know plenty of you here are happy to have your entire personal identity available to the government to use, or lose at random in transit. But I'm in favour of these two who are challenging the system.

laurie53 09:07 04 Dec 2008

Won't mean much even if they win.

If the Government think the retention of such material is that important they'll simply change the law.

That's their job, making laws to fit the society we want, or what they think we want, or what they think we should have.

jakimo 12:59 04 Dec 2008

I would support anything that disappointed Ms Jacqui Smith

Switcher 14:36 04 Dec 2008

Why are so many people anxious to hamper the police in the detection of criminals. We have just had an evil monster found guilty of the rape, murder and dismemberment of wee innocent girl of 15. A crime that happened 17 years ago.
One of the main planks of the prosecution case was DNA evidence. The innocent have nothing fear from a national DNA database and much to gain from anything which helps to remove such monsters from society.

john bunyan 15:09 04 Dec 2008

I agree with Switcher but if this is a ruling by the European Court, I am not clear if the UK can overule it - I hope so, but am dubious.

egapup 15:37 04 Dec 2008

Perhaps they should take everybody's DNA, cant see a proplem with that.

Cymro. 16:16 04 Dec 2008

"Perhaps they should take everybody's DNA, cant see a proplem with that".

Yes me too, I have nothing to hide and it might prove my innocent some day.

Pine Man 16:25 04 Dec 2008

They can have my DNA and fingerprints as far as I am concerned.

lofty29 16:25 04 Dec 2008

In principle I have nothing against a national database containing dna, fingerprints,ID card's, etc, provided it includes everyone who lives, or visits here. The problems for me are that in common with many I do not trust our government, of any stripe, to hold the data securely, not use it improperly, or charge me the earth for the priveledge.

johndrew 16:43 04 Dec 2008

Given the governments` ability to ensure security of personal and other data, it would seem a good idea that unnecessary information is not kept.

DNA data is very valuable to other than law enforcement and may be used for many other purposes, not all of it legal.

I wonder how many of you that are happy to give your DNA away would be happy to find employers and insurance companies using it to determine whether you should be employed or your premiums should rise as a result of its use. Or, more sinister, if organised crime had it and used it to determine if you would be a good donor for organs? Such things are possible.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:09 04 Dec 2008

The Government or Plod are welcome to have details of my DNA, fingerprints etc. Personally, I do not give a pig's burp.

'Or, more sinister, if organised crime had it and used it to determine if you would be a good donor for organs?'...oh do behave, we are not on Film 2008 now.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017