Celebrity baby names

hzhzhzhz 18:16 12 Nov 2006

There ya go.

lisa02 18:21 12 Nov 2006

and there you go ;)

click here

PurplePenny 18:37 12 Nov 2006

Someone on TV recently went through a lot of these saying what the (now adult) recipients of these silly names were now calling themselves. Needless to say they had all gone for very ordinary names.

It isn't just celebrities though. I read a book about the use of names and it had a chapter on the practice of giving a child a name that made a word, a phrase, or even a whole sentence, with the surname. An example would be "Blownaf" with the surname "Hughes"; there is an example in the posted list ("Tu" with "Morrow"). The worst cases were first names that took the form of entire sentences just to make a joke e.g. with the surname "Teacher" the first names might be "Better Take An Apple For The".

At the time of writing the book, in the States the most common first name with the surname "Smith" was ..... "Smith"!

Forum Editor 18:40 12 Nov 2006

says she knows a man called Ted Curtin who called his daughter 'Annette'.

hzhzhzhz 18:44 12 Nov 2006

If your new born son was named Edward Mann, he would grow up to be a Mr.E.Mann

Mr Mistoffelees 19:15 12 Nov 2006

I remember some years ago a man, surname Thomas, being interviewed on the local TV. His brother, John, had been arrested in Turkey.

sunny staines 19:17 12 Nov 2006

new someone called his baby girl "storm" after a sci fi character he had the hots for in a film or tv program.

WhiteTruckMan 19:20 12 Nov 2006

about someone-cant remember who-alledgedly calling their offsping by the name of the place they were concieved. Might have been the beckhams. But this caused much amusement where I work, as lots of (unwanted) attention was focused on a guy called Morris...

WTM

lisa02 19:46 12 Nov 2006

My other half wants to call our next daughter, if and when we have one either Teyla or Stacey.

Stacey because he likes the video of "Stacey's mom" by fountains of wayne. Though I do not look as hot as Rachel Hunter :(

Or teyla from a sci-fi show he watches.

And he likes Osiris for a boy.

PurplePenny 20:20 12 Nov 2006

I hope he doesn't want to name your house 'Abydos'.

'Teyla' (Stargate Atlantis) always sounds like a man's name to me.

Can't help feeling that a poor sprog called 'Osiris' would get teased mercilessly.

sunny staines - Storm is one of the X-Men. On screen she was played by Halle Berry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 12 Nov 2006

Mr Head called his son Richard :0(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?