CD? Give me my old zip drive any day!

wildrover 18:28 18 Jul 2004

Is there only me in the world who thinks that burning data to CD is nowhere near as efficient as the old zip drives. I bought a zip drive too many years ago to recall on the advice of someone on the PCA helpline. CDRW had come out and I was in two minds which to go for, zip or CD. The general gist of the advice was, seeing that I wanted to share data as well as back up, zip drive would be best.

Now, a few years on, I still have my old zip drive and a cdrw - CD is so hit and miss but zip never lets me down. So many times CDs have ended up with unreadable pdfs, photographs that look like they have been cut up and painted with magenta brush, data that can't be read on another computer, messages saying that the filenames are too long, drives that go to sleep whilst hunting for data, You can't write to this, that's read-only.... I could go on.

Many of my original zip disks are still going strong but I recently threw a batch of CDs away because they had a white fungussy growth on them. Why doesn't everyone have a zip drive? Is it just me??

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:35 18 Jul 2004

I've burned over 1500 CDs with only 3 coasters (my fault).

G

McD 18:43 18 Jul 2004

Wildrover,
You are not alone, I agree entirely my trusty 750 drive still reads my 100 and 250 discs (years old) all still going strong, it backs up everything automaticlly. Wouldn't be without it.
Good old Iomega

Diemmess 18:55 18 Jul 2004

Spent my all on a Jaz 1Gb yonks ago, thought it the bee's knees.

(Pause for deep sigh)

Heaps better than CDRW, endlessly rewriteable, faster than my burner/s........ Total support from Iomega, BUT............. 1Gb is peanuts, and HDs removable or external are so much more convenient and relatively cheap these days.

Zips seem to me to be the answer if a client's details are to be saved as an isolated entity for instant retrieval when required.

wildrover 21:18 18 Jul 2004

I did two lots of copies of the same data the other day, one to CD, one to zip. The data consisted of word docs and Adobe PDF files. I deleted the stuff off my hard drive. One set of files consisted of a number of chapters of an official publication, numbered intro.pdf, one.pdf, two.pdf, etc. The file, three.pdf would not read off the CD, all other files were fine. They all got burned at the same time in one session. The Zip copy was OK, all readable! This has happened many times on different makes of disk and I'm now on my second CDRW drive 'cos it also happened with my first one.

"Zips seem to me to be the answer if a client's details are to be saved as an isolated entity for instant retrieval when required." Yes, that was my original requirement. But so few people have zips compared to CD drives so I went for CDRW also.

I might just go for a 750 external iomega, My current one's a 250 and seems a bit on the small side sometimes. but am also thinking about usb HDD.

wildrover 21:25 18 Jul 2004

That bit with the your quote might not make sense. To clarify: I needed the data (photographs and pagemaker publications) isolated a) to get it off my then 2gig (wow!) HDD and b)for retrieval and c) as a safe backup, and I also needed to take them to clients. I should have bought an external Zip but I didn't have USB then! Sooo last century!!

fred 21:40 18 Jul 2004

Just ordered a second external 250G HDD as a backup to the backup HDD. Call me paranoid but hundreds of hours of work need securing.

Falkyrn 22:18 18 Jul 2004

The good old zip drive ... totally dependable until you heard the click of death and realised that your most valuable files were now history :)

Forum Editor 22:24 18 Jul 2004

for my routine office backups. I like the reliability and the fact that I can carry a zip drive in my laptop case, plug it into any computer, wherever I'm working, and I know there will be no problems.

I do use CDs for archive purposes, but they are nowhere near as reliable as ZIP disks in my opinion. The ZIP drive has come in for a lot of criticism in the past - mainly due to the 'click of death' problem that plagued earlier versions. That was overcome a long time ago however, and the new drives are superb.

Diemmess 17:45 19 Jul 2004

Agree with you if you need to cart the zips around to clients, but that wasn't made clear at the outset.

I was thinking of the accountant or designer who needs to keep client details separate and confidential..........
My graphic designer daughter has shelves of Zips each representing a client history, but they never leave her studio.

I thought myself very clever when I bought a Jaz for backup (Ghost purposes). Being a sole and home operator the backups soon became too large I went the HD route and the Jaz,.... just isn't used any more.

My latest and very useful device for printing our village magazine is a memory stick with a fill of pdf files "oven ready for the printer" He uses QuarkXpress, and so would I if it didn't cost a small mortgage!......... The rest get CDs.

€dstowe 18:48 19 Jul 2004

I, too, liked the Zip drive but became much too small for modern usage (even the so-called large size ones are miniscule for today's computing). That, and the high cost of media has meant that my zip drives are at the back of the cupboard.

It would be nice if Iomega developed a system of a, say, mid size between CD and DVD with the reliability, portability and versatility of a Zip disc at a reasonable cost.

It could be said that rewritable CD/DVD will do that but I am very untrustworthy of these things having had potentially expensive disasters of data loss in the past.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?